HDV on a Laptop... How much extra memory? (Max 2GB) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 5th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Inner Circle

HDV on a Laptop... How much extra memory? (Max 2GB)

I'm looking into buying extra memory for a laptop that I edit HDV on and I'm curious about how much I should get. Our memory frequency is 333mhz and so far all I can find is a Kingston 512MB memory that is compatible. Are there other memory that are compatible with my current laptop, the HP dv8210ca? Should I go all the way for 2GB or is 1GB is just fine? We're using a AMD Turion 64 processor at 1.8Ghz.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Go for it.............

Why ask? Just stick the max in and go do. On a laptop it still won't be a screaming banshee of production but the more the merrier.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

One caveat

Carefully check the specs on your laptop - there is no reason to buy more than the motherboard will support. I have an (otherwise wonderful) Sony Vaio with at 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 but the memory is limited to 512KB...
Old June 5th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I checked and the max is 2048MB (2GB). So I should be happy with 2GB?
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 06:04 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The more the merrier

As Chris suggested above, the more you have, the better you are. My experience is that even if it's an older computer, where you are limited by other factors, adding more memory will make your computer a lot more stable. Programs will run smoother, and it will not crash even if you open up several large programs at the same time.

Google should help you find some online resources. Someone on this website once gave me a web address but I lost it - there is a website some place that lets you punch in the make/model of your computer and it will give you the best match for your memory upgrade.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition