What about a hard drive storage system that works with HDMI instead of firewire? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 10th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What about a hard drive storage system that works with HDMI instead of firewire?

I was thing. I have never seen a device like the focus hard drive storage device that works with HDMI instead of firewire. I don't even know if it is possible. But if it is, wouldn't you get better resolution, full 1920x1080 and 4:2:2 color production.

If they got black magic design to make the firmware and incorporate HDMI into the focus enhancement design, this may work. Just thought I'd share the thought.
Paul Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Watkins View Post
I was thing. I have never seen a device like the focus hard drive storage device that works with HDMI instead of firewire. I don't even know if it is possible. But if it is, wouldn't you get better resolution, full 1920x1080 and 4:2:2 color production.

If they got black magic design to make the firmware and incorporate HDMI into the focus enhancement design, this may work. Just thought I'd share the thought.
I guess it's possible, but it would have to be a fast system to record uncompressed hd. Plus, storage would be severely hindered. I don't know if it would be practicle if it only could record an half hour or so of footage. Maybe the future will bring a Focus-like terabyte drive that accepts HDMI. Of course, I think they would develop something like the Focus system that records HD-SDI before HDMI. That would be something, though. I wonder what the cost would be?
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bosco Jr. View Post
I guess it's possible, but it would have to be a fast system to record uncompressed hd. Plus, storage would be severely hindered. I don't know if it would be practicle if it only could record an half hour or so of footage. Maybe the future will bring a Focus-like terabyte drive that accepts HDMI. Of course, I think they would develop something like the Focus system that records HD-SDI before HDMI. That would be something, though. I wonder what the cost would be?
I guess like you, John that it is possible, but highly impractical. You would require a sustained write transfer rate of around 200 MB/s, which means with current disk speeds at least a 4 or 5 disk Raid0 array of 3.5 inch 7200 RPM SATA2 disks. 2.5 inch or smaller form factors are way too slow. So volume, cooling and weight will be a major practical problem, apart from the power supply needed to run a 4 disk array. Then add to the equation that even when using 250 GB disks, so you have effectively 1TB in the array, it will only suffice for around 90 minutes to fill up all the space. So, when shooting outdoors, you have to bring at least 2 or more of these arrays for the day.

Further take into consideration the limited length of HDMI cables and the flimsy connection and you are almost required to mount it on camera. That will add at least 10 pounds in weight to the camera, including the power supply.

Last point is price. If you look at the price of the current FS-100, with storage capacity of 100 GB, at $ 1.895, can you imagine what a 1 TB array with embedded raid controller and portable power supply with loader must cost. My guess is it would be at or above the Wafian range, so at least $ 17K.
Look here: http://www.wafian.com/HR-F1.htm
BTW, can you imagine mounting a disk array like that on your A1/V1/Z1 hand held camera?
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Take a look at this post about the "RIO ONE" portable HDMI computer by Stephen Armour. I'm sure it is still in development phase, but at least someone thinks it's feasible.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92385

If enough people show interest, perhaps the development will accelerate?

I think a key aspect is that it is intended to use compression, but a more lossless format with higher bit depth. I believe Cineform is the planned software. Imagine Cineform files generated from the HDMI signal instead of the HDV and you can appreciate that it would be a huge leap in quality. Wouldn't that be something like 100mbps from an uncompressed source? That would be just dandy for compositing and the like.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Trustee

As an alternative, I'd like to see a front end that allows you to simply attach any hard-drive or memory card. Focus already has the ability to do this, but they require you to buy their overpriced drives.
Old June 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cascio View Post
As an alternative, I'd like to see a front end that allows you to simply attach any hard-drive or memory card. Focus already has the ability to do this, but they require you to buy their overpriced drives.
That will not allow uncompressed 4:2:2 ingest.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition