Help me pick a camera! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old June 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Image quality is not determined by the camera. Image quality is determined by the person using the camera. The right one for you is the camera which feels best in your hands, whose format you are comfortable working with. Any of the sub-$10k camcorders currently available will produce incredible images if handled properly. If you are thinking that somehow there must be one which is better than all the others, then you're looking at it in entirely the wrong way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #17
New Boot

Hello Chris,

I fully agree with you on that. I suppose what I was trying to say is--what is the camera with least known errors in the sub-10k range. The "highest regarded," by users, in a sense. I hope that this clears up what I was trying to say.

Thanks.
Jasper Blunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Sorry, but it's as if you were asking which car should you buy, or which guitar. Ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. Everybody has their own opinions and their own preferences. What I'm trying to impress upon you is that there is no such thing as "highest regarded." If there was such a thing, it would be the only camera that sells. The fact is though that *all* of them are selling quite well.

If you're looking for a response such as "oh, no doubt about it, you want the Forbin KL-6 camera," then as I've already said you are approaching this the wrong way. All of the sub-$10K HD cameras are highest regarded, by the people that use them.

There are literally dozens of previous discussions here which all ask that same question "which is the best camera." Read through them and you'll find that there is no simple, one-size-fits-all definitive answer.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Jasper, welcome to DVi!

A more appropriate approach to your question would be to tell this community what you intend to do, what type of work is your camera going to be involved in. And what is your final product going to be? What workflow will you be using?

Certain cameras are preferred by those making independent films, other cameras work better in the live videography environment, and so on. And even within these categories, as Chris pointed out, there is the personal preference. Come back with answers and you will certainly get all the help you need!
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #20
Major Player

Help FX7 vs HV-20 & Letus35 FE

Im going crazy trying to decide. I just sold some photo gear and I have $3,300 to spend but I have to buy a DSLR too. Im looking at a 2 options

Rebel XTI DSLR $665
Letus35 FE $700
HV-20 $1,030
________
$2,395

Rebel XTI DSLR $665
Sony FX7 $2,600
_________
$3,265

Having the HDR-HC3 right now I find that the auto focus seems to focus on the background when trying to focus on my kids and it makes me crazy.

I played with the FX7 over the weekend and found it to have lots of manual controls and the 20X zoom is awesome and the focus seems to be WAY BETTER. With the 20X zoom shallow DOF seems bretty good and is AF unlike the Letus.

From what I have heard the HV-20 has excellent auto focus and with the letus it is still cheaper than the FX7 but lacks the 20x zoom and full manual control.

I usually just video my kids , trips, zero budget movies with my friends once in a while.

Any opinions on what you would do if you had this money and why would be very helpful.

Thanks Joey

Any opinions on what you would

Last edited by Joey Atilano; June 18th, 2007 at 03:19 PM.
Joey Atilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #21
Major Player

With the subject matter you wanted to shoot, HV20 would be my choice. Great image in a small package...and having the 35mm adapter would be nice.

- Kyle
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Joey:

Depends on what you really want to do.

You are not done when you buy the Letus. You'll want to get specific prime lenses. Probably around 4, figuring about $75.00 average each on EBay. In my experience, a zoom lens is not your answer. You'll have compromises and adjustments you will be making with the HV20. Low light because of additional light loss both with the Letus and it flip function will make available light shooting inside very difficult. I shot with the non flip Letus and HV20 this weekend, and needed lights in a lot of indoor situations.

Benefit of HV20 is a high definition image at 24p, but to get true 24p you'll also have to consider going with at least NEOHDV to do pull down.

HV20 with Letus is not a simple point and shoot. But it does give a nice result if you pull it all together properly.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #23
New Boot

Help me pick a camera!

Hello,

I have been searching reviews and posts endlessly looking for the right camera. Any advice would be helpful.

I am looking to shoot whatever work I can get: weddings, events, commercials, etc. I just relocated to Southern CA, so something that could also shoot indie may prove useful here?

I would like to buy a primary camera and get good with it, then rent a second if necessary for the job. My budget is from around $3000-$6000.

I was looking at the JVC HD-GY110U, canon XH-A1, etc..

Thanks,

Gary
Gary Romel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #24
New Boot

Chris,

You're right. I should probably go into a camera store and feel the cameras there; try them out. Then, make a list of the ones I like and then post here for sample/test footage.

Well, I'm looking for a sub-10k camera with the following:

- 1/3-inch 3-CCD chip+
- High-definition (compared to Standard-definition)
- Interchangeable lens (so that I can attach 35mm adapters and such)
- The most non-digital look: as much film-look as possible – complete eye candy

I am shooting a feature coming up. About two brothers, one who is autistic, and their relations to a mysterious island. Very, very moving story. A fairy-tale-like theme. But very intense and emotional. I may use a certain style of putting "intense" music in non-action-oriented scenes and putting "calm" music in intense/action-oriented scenes. A interesting concept–and I'm not sure if it has ever been used before!

So as I described earlier, I am looking for a non-digital look. Of course, in the end it comes down to mainly lighting. But I really want eye candy, an image that will really be beautiful and appealing. The film will be distributed. There are many water sequences. I also want a camera that I can install on a 20-foot boom and Fly-Cam. So a camera that is pref. under 15 pounds.

Thanks for your help. I'm really excited about being a member on DVi!
Jasper Blunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks Kyle and Chris

one of the other things that is holding me back from the HV-20 is I allready have a small cam in the HC3 and is it worth it buy another cam a little better for $1000.

Or I can get the FX7 which is 2.5 times as much with all the features, mainly 20x/Manual .

What makes it hard too is not ever using an adapter. I love videos I see from it when but Im worried how hard it will be to set up with no probs and even if I will like shooting with one. Should I get the 35A to see if I like it or get the FE incase I do.

I think I need to go handle both one more time before I decide what I want to blow my money on.
Old June 19th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #26
Major Player

Just go for the Canon XH-A1. Almost all of the cameras in that price range are good cameras, they just have slightly different pros and cons. On a simple bang-for-you-buck basis the XH-A1 wins (hence why Cnet has it as their pick of the bunch) and it is a complicated enough piece of equipment that it will force you to learn how to use it well.

Purchase and enjoy.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:49 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Atilano View Post
Thanks Kyle and Chris

one of the other things that is holding me back from the HV-20 is I allready have a small cam in the HC3 and is it worth it buy another cam a little better for $1000.

Or I can get the FX7 which is 2.5 times as much with all the features, mainly 20x/Manual .

What makes it hard too is not ever using an adapter. I love videos I see from it when but Im worried how hard it will be to set up with no probs and even if I will like shooting with one. Should I get the 35A to see if I like it or get the FE incase I do.

I think I need to go handle both one more time before I decide what I want to blow my money on.
If not shooting 24p is not a big deal to you, then get the FX7. If you're going to just shoot the kids and mess around with the camera here and there, then why buy anything? If you want a better camera, sell the HC3, probably can get around $500 for it, and get a V1. It has 24p and everything. You can also get a Canon XHA1; it's 24f is a nice option, and it makes nice pictures for the price. My point is that for what you are shooting; you don't need two cameras. One is going to sit on the shelf. If you plan on doing weddings or event video, then get the FX7. The HC3 can be your backup and deck, and the FX7 can be your main camera. If that's not the case, then put the extra money in your kids' college funds.

Good luck.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #28
Major Player

Interchangeable lens... well you eliminated all but the Canon XLH1 or JVC Pro HD 110, 200, 250. Considering what you are shooting, I would go with the JVC HD 200. A very nice 720/60p camera that shoots native 24p and has HD-SDI for professional applications. If you're hung on to pure resolution, then get the Canon XLH1. It has HD-SDI, and its 24f is a close replica of 24p. The JVC, in my opinion, has a better film look, but the Canon has lots of adjustments to achieve just about any look, so you really can't go wrong with either one. I think Chris makes an excellent point; you're not going to find a clear winner. They are all very nice cameras for the price. It comes down to personal preference. Go handle those cameras, and see how they feel. Is the professional lens of the JVC without image stabilization going to work, or would you rather sacrifice a better manual lens for one that has a good image stabilizer? Audio? Camera layout? balance, etc? There are many variables, not just look.
John Bosco Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
..."oh, no doubt about it, you want the Forbin KL-6 camera,"...
Chris, where can I get one of those Forbin KL-6 cams? I hear they're the best! :P

Sorry, no offense to Jasper with this remark. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Last edited by Ken Wozniak; June 19th, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: So I don't look like a bonehead.
Ken Wozniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM   #30
Inner Circle

I have a Forbin KL-6 "A" - the early version, without the cupholder. Don't waste your money on it. Wait for the "C" version - it's supposed to have the "Auto Acting" button, that makes your actors remember their lines.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition