Using USB External Drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 10th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using USB External Drive?

I'm working on a project in Vegas 7e with 26 hours of HDV footage at 1080/24f from a XH-A1. Will be working with DV proxies..but the project will have many many layers and graphics and effects and will need to be rendered from the original HDV files to a final HDV file. Can all this be done with a USB external drive...or should I just stop my bellyaching and buy a firewire 400 drive?

thanks
jeremiah
Jeremiah McLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jeremiah...........

I don't think so & Yes, in that order.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
Major Player

Technically, USB 2.0 is a little bit faster than firewire 400. BUT- If you're going to use a USB drive, you can't have any other USB devices connected to that hub because it shares the total bandwidth with anything else connected to that particular hub. Firewire 400, while a little slower, gives you a dedicated connection and more reliability.

Of course, if you can jump to firewire 800, that would be better. Even better still would be to get an eSATA drive. You'll have to plug in a PCI card to use with the eSATA, but that will give you truly blazing throughput.

While a USB 2.0 drive might squeak by for you, you'll definitely feel the bottleneck once you start with tons of layers and graphics and whatnot. Just my 2 cents.
Shawn McCalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Shawn.................

Giving the question some more thought, that is exactly what I was going to suggest as well. In fact, if Jeremiah goes the eSata route (depending on budget, of course) it might be worth looking at a couple of drives in a Raid 0 configuration - that sure is one heck of a lot of disc accesses you're going to be throwing at the problem.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition