why does quicktime look so washed out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition
Topics about HD production.

Old July 17th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

why does quicktime look so washed out

the coloring is better on avi files and wmvs why is the image washed out on quicktime files? any way to fix this
Old July 18th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i guess no one knows
Old July 18th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Could be:

A- Quicktime applying color management inappropriately. Try using a different format, or the same format going out of AE as the one that came in.

B- Studio RGB versus computer RGB levels. You may need to convert from one to the other.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Some files which play soft and white on Quicktime play better on VideoLAN which is a free downloadable player.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #5
Major Player

I know exactly what your talking about. When I export with QT h264 the image looks desaturated, but if i use mpeg4 it renders out nice and vibrant. I use tmpgenc for the encoding. Doesn`t make sense why h264 was so highly spoken of but clouds the image so. I wonder if i still have the comparison shots i did around on my comp somewhere. Never found an answer
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Trustee

i Have the problem of AVI's from Premiere Pro 2.0 looking heavily pixelated on QT 7.2 on playback, but beautiful on WMP....
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:48 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Its quicktime applying color management inappropriately, from what I remember. Its a bug.

2- When playing back DV AVIs in quicktime, enable high quality. (crtl j or video settings)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hmmm I find the washed out appearance much more evident in wmv than in quicktime. The biggest reason I use H.264 codec for web applications is its great colour rendition compared to its bitrate/compression. Avi and Mpeg2 files are usually the best retainers of colour for computer video; but I've never had dramas with quicktime in Mpeg-4 or H.264. What editing software are you on?
Oliver Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

With compression you loose some contrast, colors, pretty much a little of everything. Decent compression programs apply specific filters before encoding to highly compressed formats for the internet.

Try PREPARING your high quality footage BEFORE compressing - increase contrast, lower brightness, remove chroma noise.
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #10
Trustee

I've seen the same thing rendering quicktime (mov) from Sony Vegas.
I'll have to look closer when rendering, but maybe there's a setting for luminance set to 16-235 (601) as Glenn mentioned.

If there is, try disabling it and render again.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > General HD (720 / 1080) Acquisition