Edius 4.51 and simultaneous audio adjustment at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old January 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Edius 4.51 and simultaneous audio adjustment

Hello everyone

I was wondering, is there a way to adjust audio for several tracks simultaneously in Edius Pro 4.51? I mean, if a number of clips is placed in the timeline how can I drop or raise the audio level for all of them? Grouping the clips doesn't do the job, neither marking them with in and out. How can this be done?

Also, let's say I have one track with several narration audio segments and below it a track with music. After adding keyframes to the music track, is there a way to adjust the level for all of them? More than enough I edit videos that contain an interview and music in the background. It's very frustrating and time-consuming to adjust music level for a large number of keyframes each time the narration comes in or goes out. Is there a way to do this faster?

Thanks a lot in advance

Themis Gyparis
Happy Trimmer Production and Post Production Studio
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM   #2
Trustee

try to nest your sequences. edit you music in another sequence. drop the audio only that sequence into your video sequence. this way your music clips act like one clip.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm sorry Ted, I'm not sure I understand what you tell me, pleased be more specific. If I place the music to a different sequence I won't be able to see the points where I should drop the audio, since my video track would be in a different sequence. Besides, that would not solve my problem, since I would have to again arrange audio drops and raises for the whole video. It would be ideal if, after arranging audio drops and raises, I'd be able to select all the tracks I need to adjust and lower the volume to all of them. Is there a way to do that?
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

In the mixer, above each audio channel slider there are 3 (red, green and blue) buttons marked GANG1, GANG2 and GANG3. Select the same button for the group of audio channels that you like to control all at once. When you move one of then, all will move ‘respectively’. Regarding the ‘reverse’ scenario where while fading in you fade something out, you will have to do it manually.

Take a look at this: mixer

Rob
Robert Wiejak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert. I'm familiar with the procedure you describe, but that's not my case. What you mention only works when the audio segments are placed in different tracks on the timeline. I'm talking about several segments within the same audio track, in which gang is not needed. I also came to the conclusion that I have to do it manually. Pity... There should be a way to apply changes in a larger number of tracks than just one.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm not sure if this will work or not: have you tried the 'scale' function? I'm not sure if it will work on multiple clips on the same track.
Old January 16th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
I'm not sure if this will work or not: have you tried the 'scale' function? I'm not sure if it will work on multiple clips on the same track.
I certainly have. That's my problem: the change can't be applied to multiple tracks. The guys at Canopus say they'll fix it on a future issue of the software
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Major Player

Uh, export the track with your keyframed changes and re-import it?
Old January 16th, 2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Tejral View Post
Uh, export the track with your keyframed changes and re-import it?
I I had to do all the keyframing manually, why would I need to export and re-import the track? All I'd have to do is turn the dbs down with the mixer.
Old January 20th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themis Gyparis View Post
More than enough I edit videos that contain an interview and music in the background. It's very frustrating and time-consuming to adjust music level for a large number of keyframes each time the narration comes in or goes out. Is there a way to do this faster?
If it's any interest I am doing this by taking the voiceover track I made in Edius along with the other mixed down audio tracks into Adobe Audition where I use a very neat and free plugin called SideKick 3 to do automatic "ducking". This removes any need for all that manual rubber banding to lower the music when the voice appears as it is taken care of entirely by SideKick.

You can set up the attack and delay times together with the amount you want the levels to change very easily. Working great, just would love that Edius could use the plugin directly.

Maybe this would help you solve part of your problems, the plugin is at http://www.twistedlemon.nl and since it is a VST plugin it may work in other VST aware apps, but not as yet Edius unless I just haven't figured out how to do that yet. Probably could do with some help.
Old January 20th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ok Claire, this may be a revelation here, but I need your help. I can tell you this: I use Edius Pro 4.51 and the plugin you refer to can be used directly from Edius. All you have to do is extract the dll file inside the C:\program files\canopus\edius4\plugin\vst directory, then start Edius, go to settings > plug-in settings > vst > vst plugin bridge settings, click on Add, specify the folder above, click on OK and then restart Edius. Then, on the Effect tab, under Audio Filters you'll see VST and under it Sidekick 3. You can drag it into the audio track on the timeline and set its parameters through the information tab.

That's where my problems begin. I don't get what I can do with this filter or how it can serve my needs. All I see is a list of parameters such as attack, threshold, bypass, release etc which, if I'm not wrong, are filters that alter the audio. How can I use this plugin to adjust music or narration or even to make rubber banding redundant? Please specify the procedure as accurately as you can.
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Okay, well yes I discovered how to add the plugin VTS to Edius a few days ago but what I am still stuck on is how to configure it in that app. You see this is my problem that I asked for help on the Grass Valley forum but so far no interest seen.

I can tell you that the general way it works is that you need to place the affect twice... once on the music and once on the voice over. You set the plugin on the voice to "send" the audio to the other plugin on the music. The channel it uses might be alhpa, beta, etc and so you set the "use virtual channel" on the music's plugin to this same channel, whatever it is.

The send plugin needs no other settings other than "ducking" is "on" and "bypass" is "off".

The receiving plugin is also configured to "duck" and is not "bypassed", the attack wants to be typically 100, the release 500 and the threshold around -40db.

Now when the voice over appears the music track is "ducked".

Hmm, what I just wrote looks awfully hard to understand, I will see if I can put some screenshots up, in the meantime follow up these links..

http://articles.americasdebate.net/d...tion/index.htm

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?14@@.3bc33221/26

http://www.audiomastersforum.net/amf....html#msg59710

as I say it is working just great in Audition since those links were my information on how to set it up in that app but I would dearly love to know how to get the two tracks connected with it in Edius the way it works with Audition.
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Themis
Have you sorted out your audio problem? I sat down with my audio mixing today and it you open the audio mixer (button next to scope) in Edius and you select the audiotrack that you what to adjust, click then on the button with the text “none”, change to “track”. Now you can adjust audio on the whole timeline

cheers
Markus
Markus Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes, Markus, I know that. Thanks a lot. I was looking for a way to visibly see all audio lines drop to a certain percent, for example check all audio tracks in, say, A1 track of the timeline, right click, set it to 30% and this change be applied to all tracks at once. I e-mailed Canopus and they said this can't be done, at least in this version of Edius. They promised they'll fix it in a future version.

I know this can be done with the mixer but the result is not visible. Anyway, we'll have to stick with this for the moment. That's why Avid still keeps its place at the top. For these simple things that are not there in other, very professional from every other perspective, NLE apps.
Themis Gyparis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE