DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Edius V5 and HDstorm Announced (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/130675-edius-v5-hdstorm-announced.html)

Ron Evans September 12th, 2008 06:28 AM

Edius V5 and HDstorm Announced

Edius V5 and some new hardware announced at IBC. HDStorm has HDMI I/O with bay having most other connections too. Looks very interesting new announcements. New V5 includes all versions so there is no Broadcast version as well as Pro version. Good package of plugin's included too. All information is on the Canopus site.

Ron Evans

Stephan Stryhanyn September 12th, 2008 10:03 AM

GV is still very discreet about blu-ray and H264. There's only a mention of the bundled Corel MovieFactory for blu-ray authoring. I couldn't find information whether the new exporter/encoder (which replaces PC Express) finally allows for certified bluray-compliant H264 that can be relied upon, or is H264 still intended 'for portable devices' (!!), or should people stick with MPEG2 for safety's sake, or rely on third-party H264 encoders... again. The marketing is again extremely soft on blu-ray, which feels odd.

The local GV distributor in my country also announces more hardware on their website av2p.com:
- HD Spark: HDMI out only + audio, only for monitoring (no capture),
- HDThunder: HD/SD SDI I/O + HDMI out + audio.

Claudia Eklof September 12th, 2008 11:28 AM

Edius V5 and HDstorm not Vista64 compliant til 1Q09

I was about to ask the following question about Edius 4.6 ... but it still applies to the just announced Edius 5.0 since apparently HDSTORM will not have Windows Vista 64-bit driver support until sometime in Q1 2009:

As part of a system upgrade, I'm considering upgrading my OS to Vista-64 (from XP Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 2). But I'm wondering, will Edius 4 (or 5) work in a 64-bit environment? Or, if it does work, whether the program operates fully well, throughout the rendering process?

Anyone out there running Edius (or Vegas for that matter) on a 64-bit OS?

Ron Evans September 12th, 2008 11:38 AM

Hi Claudia
Yes I run Edius 4.6 on Vista 64. It seems to run better than on XP especially in my case as I have 8G RAM so there is little competition for RAM from any other processes that may be running in the backround and any of the 32bit apps can get their full quota of RAM. I also have Vegas PRo8, and Premiere CS3 running on the same Vista 64 system. All these 32bit apps run just fine. The only issue I think one has is with drivers for hardware. My reason for going Vista 64 when I upgraded a few months ago was to set my self up for newer updates of the NLE's that would be native 64bit. Vegas and Adobe will bring out true 64 bit product shortly.

Ron Evans

Garrett Low September 12th, 2008 03:16 PM

Hey Ron,

Vegas just released their 64bit. Initial reports are that their is a pretty noticeable improvements especially if you were running Vegas 32bit under Vista 64.

Garrett

Ron Evans September 12th, 2008 06:34 PM

Yes I have downloaded the 64 bit version of Vegas but haven't installed yet. I have too many things on the go at the moment and I really only use Vegas for audio. Edius V5 now does the things I was missing so I may not use either Vegas or CS3 for video now. I was looking for keyframe for the "layout", and clip makers both in the V5 release as well as a lot of other goodies.

Ron Evans