General Edius question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 19th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Major Player

General Edius question

Just played with the demo version of Edius .. Great product, the Canopus codec is wonderful! I could definitely see myself using this... except!

Where is the audio waveform? After bringing an audio file to the preview monitor, I would expect to see the waveform to identify beats or be able to visually navigate an audio file by its waveform image. All I see is a black screen. Please tell me there is a way to enable this feature. This functionality is essential in my editing style and the only thing that's holding me back.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I don't have the trial version but if you will look on the timeline at the extreme left you will see several little icons that will turn off or on the wave form. One is a little triangle that opens up the file and displays the wave form. There is also an icon for mute and I believe several more. Depending on the way you have Edius set up the display on the rubber band can be changed to your preference.

Go to the training site on the home page Canopus Worldwide Home and you will find some basic instructions about Edius 5.0. The latest version is 5.01 and it cleans up some problems in 5.0. If you are new to Edius then invest in Mike Downey's training DVD. It is well worth the cost. Also be aware in the trial version not all the functionality is present.

Good Luck

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old March 19th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks ROnnie,

Yes I was able to enable waveform in the timeline. However, I was really looking for the audio waveform in the preview window... Very often, I would cut up a piece of music to modify its length to fit the edit. I would select different parts of the music in the preview window based on its beats - using the audio waveform as a visual guide, then dropping those segments onto the timeline.. Waveform on the timeline is necessary, but as is waveform in the preview window. Any noise from the Edius camp as to whether or not this feature is high on their enhancement list?
Old March 19th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I haven't heard of any. However, on the canopus site there is a place to put your request for a feature. I just go to the end of the video timeline and then add the audio track and open the wave form. From there I cut and paste the pieces together. Just right click on the separated parts you have cu out and click on ripple delete. The spaces will come together and you can export it as a wave file and then take it back into the project.

Take care

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old April 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There is no waveform in the preview monitor. It is being looked at. For now you will have to use the waveform in the timeline.
Pat Sipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks, I've decided to stick with Vegas.. Edius felt to "locked-down" coming from Vegas. It is one stable NLE though!
Old April 3rd, 2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Thanks, I've decided to stick with Vegas.. Edius felt to "locked-down" coming from Vegas. It is one stable NLE though!
I use both. Edius for most video editing especially multicam and Vegas for audio and export to DVD Architect. I also use Vegas for AVCHD single track editing from my SR11.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I am a long time Edius user and from what I hear there are some audio improvements coming with 5.1 that is yet to be released. I am still amaized that I can put almost anythng on the time line and hit the space bar and it plays without rendering. Since our move now to all HD/HDV cameras we have noticed a little slow down in realtime proformance. However, it is still awesome rock solid. I have an occasion ot edit on a machine at our church that has a very popular NLE and I really have a hard time because of the constant rendering.

Thanks for the help

Ronnie Martin
wwwldirtracingvideo.com
Old April 6th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Bluray and Edius

Hi all

I am a long time Edius user and about to get into Bluray authoring.

Can anyone out there suggest an OK Authoring product for Bluray? Anything that is sort of similar to Ulead DVD Workshop would be fine for me.

Also what export setting should I go for from Edius? Any tips welcome.

Finally what Bluray discs should I get? The 25G or 50 gig versions?

Hoping Edius will do Bluray from the timeline soon.

Any other tips most welcome.
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Hi all

I am a long time Edius user and about to get into Bluray authoring.

Can anyone out there suggest an OK Authoring product for Bluray? Anything that is sort of similar to Ulead DVD Workshop would be fine for me.

Also what export setting should I go for from Edius? Any tips welcome.

Finally what Bluray discs should I get? The 25G or 50 gig versions?

Hoping Edius will do Bluray from the timeline soon.

Any other tips most welcome.
I don't have a clue to what is coming from Edius at NAB. However, I am going probably for the last time this year just to see what is coming with 5.1. What is needed for Bluray to take off like DVD is cheaper disks. When your product sells for $25.00 and the blank disks are still in the $15-16 dollar range it will be a long time for Blu ray to take off like DVD. I think that Sony is keeping the price up on purpose to keep folks like me from moving up to Bluray with our production. Mybe they don't want the small independedt Event producers to be successful. We have updated all of our caneras and editing stations to HD and the SD DVD does not look as good as it did when we were shooting SD and distributing in SD DVD.

We keep hoping.....

Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracingvide.com
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #11
Regular Crew

creating a Flash file with Edius

I use Edius version 5 and it’s marvelous.

I also have Macromedia Flash and the Flash Encoder installed and was wondering how you tell Edius to intergrate with the Encoder so that you can create a flash file from the Edius timeline.

Thanks

Martin
Australia
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
I use Edius version 5 and it’s marvelous.

I also have Macromedia Flash and the Flash Encoder installed and was wondering how you tell Edius to intergrate with the Encoder so that you can create a flash file from the Edius timeline.

Thanks

Martin
Australia
Hello Martin: I don't have a clue as how to create a flsh file from the timeline in Edius. I have 5.01 on my laptop but have not put it on my Desk tops yet. I am waiting for 5.10 to come out with some fixes. I expect that the best place to ask this question is on the Canopus/Edius forum.

Take care

Ronnie Martin
Page 1
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Flash fix for Edius 5

There is a fix to the problem from the Edius people themselves:

Quote below regarding Flash exporting,
EDIUS requires installing Adobe CS3 Professional (not CS4) to export to .flv from EDIUS timeline.
You can't install Adobe CS4 for this purpose, because CS3 supports to import a source file via
QuickTime bridge component (EDIUS uses this function to support exporting to .flv), however
CS4 doesn't support this function.
We have requested the marketing team supporting .flv in combination with CS4 in the future.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Yes I was able to enable waveform in the timeline. However, I was really looking for the audio waveform in the preview window...
You can turn on a horizontal audio meter in the preview window using the application settings, but I'm not at an Edius system just now so I can't tell you the exact details.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
I am a long time Edius user and about to get into Bluray authoring. Can anyone out there suggest an OK Authoring product for Bluray?
Edius version 5 supports Blu-ray authoring through an accompanying authoring program, and has a lot of other new features which should be well worth the upgrade price. Version 5.1 (due out in the next week or so) reportedly supports simple Blu-ray burning directly from the timeline.

Available Upgrades
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE