Edius Neo & Flash at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old July 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Edius Neo & Flash

I'm making a roughly 3 minute promo video in Edius Neo (1.x)

1) After uploading to my website, when I access it directly (I have no link at present), both Explorer and Firefox wait until after the video has been "downloaded" before they kick off the player. At 270+MB it takes a while. While I doubt this has anything at all to do with Edius, is there a "switch" to make browsers open the video more quickly?

2) 270MB seems like a lot for this video. A previous version without the stereo music sound track and slightly less time (2:47 versus 3:03) was only 47MB. I'm using VBR for both audio and video. Does that sound right?

3) Ultimately I'd like to replace my current homepage with the video. I suppose it should be in Flash (flv) format. Am I going to run into the same size/download issue?

4) Is there any way to "zoom"? Is there any way to pan?

Thanks,
Paul Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

While I don't run Neo ( I use Edius) one thought. Was the first version maybe done in windows media and the second version mpeg2. that would explain the file size difference.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sirb View Post
While I don't run Neo ( I use Edius) one thought. Was the first version maybe done in windows media and the second version mpeg2. that would explain the file size difference.
Hi John,

I've been experimenting, but no - adding audio blew the size out the window in wmv format.

I have since found a wmv to swf and it makes it very managable. I also found a flash player that does what I want, so it's good now.

Thanks.
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Is this SD or HD video?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Is this SD or HD video?
It's just SD video. I'm outputting to Windows WMV format. I've tried DV but the converter crapped out when trying to convert. I also tried mpeg2 but got black bars either side.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

At this time I would not go with video encoded at over 500Kbps for the web. The reason is that a lot of people still have the lazy 756Kbps DSL, and most workplace networks are also limited to 1Mbps or less to preserve bandwidth. So if you go for higher bitrate, you exclude some potential viewers that will get frustrated with the choppy playback and move on to another website.

Of course, this does not apply to you if your target audience is exclusively high-tech geeks who, you know for sure, have high speed internet.
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Inner Circle

You could encode SD using H.264, get under 500kbps, and have decent looking video (depending on content) using a flash player.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE