DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   The mystery of the missing batch captured files (Canopus batch capture) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/29833-mystery-missing-batch-captured-files-canopus-batch-capture.html)

Robert Knecht Schmidt July 30th, 2004 03:27 AM

The mystery of the missing batch captured files (Canopus batch capture)

I'm using the Batch Capture utility in StormEdit to capture clips from tapes. Unfortunately, the system keeps rebooting halfway through the process.

But when I take a look at the directory the clips were being captured to, all the avi files are 0 bytes, even the ones corresponding to clips successfully captured prior to the crash.

What happens to these successfully captured files during an unfinished batch capture? Where does the data go?

Also, I don't get any successfully captured files if I cancel the batch capture process halfway through. Why not? Again, where is the data going and why is it lost for no reason?

Luis Caffesse August 1st, 2004 10:43 PM

Robert,

This may be a stupid questions, but are you certain you aren't capturing reference AVI files. If that's the case, then your avi files would be 0 bytes.

Also, just out of curiousity, why are you capturing in StormEdit?

Robert Knecht Schmidt August 2nd, 2004 08:15 AM

"This may be a stupid questions, but are you certain you aren't capturing reference AVI files. If that's the case, then your avi files would be 0 bytes."

I don't think so. When the batch capture list completes successfully, all the capture files are their appropriate sizes.

"Also, just out of curiousity, why are you capturing in StormEdit?"

Old habits... What should I be using instead?

I'd like to be running Edius, but I'm not interested in upgrading any of my systems to WinXP. They run so smoothly on Windows 2000--I have an old phobia that installing a new operating system will introduce pernicious and multiform complications leftover from the days of Windows 3.1, Windows 95, and Windows 98.

Incidentally, I eventually successfully batch captured all my files. But I'd still like to know where StormEdit is putting the data as it captures each file, if not in the files themselves until the batch sequence is finished.

Mike Rehmus August 2nd, 2004 04:08 PM

The problem is with the poor architecture of StormEdit. During captuer, the program does not close each file as it is finished. When your computer crashes, the open files are considered to be files of 0 length because it is the closing action that writes file lenght, etc.

RexEdit is the same way and I railed at Canopus to no effect for 6 years until they came out with Edius (which does close files).

Luis Caffesse August 2nd, 2004 05:13 PM

"Old habits... What should I be using instead?"

I thought maybe you were capturing in Storm Edit but editing in another program. I did that for a little while because of Canopus'
RNL program which allows you to log a tape automatically.

If you are editing in Premiere by any chance, I've got a nice little
program to convert RNL files into TXT batch files formated for
Premiere.