Canopus procoder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canopus procoder

Ok I'm using this within Premiere Pro 1.5, and all of my mpegs turn out real dark. Any ideas? Should I be exporting out of premiere first then converting it to mpeg within procoder it self? Also, this was shot with the panasonic dvx-100 in 24p with the animorphic lens. I captured the clips and interpret them as 16x9 in a 16x9 project and they look great. Now when I export to my mpeg, what should my settings be? 16x9? 24 as my frame rate? I have tried a few things just when I need to export something out to show the studio guys, but I need to have this down by the time I finish editing so that I know what the settings should be when I am ready to export the final movie. Any help on this would be great.
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:19 PM   #2
Major Player

I usually render the mpegs directly from the Procoder application from a final uncompressed source (but it shouldn't make a difference if it comes from Premiere or directly from Procoder).

Are you viewing this on a computer monitor, a TV, or a broadcast monitor?

Are you selecting Multi-pass VBR or CBR? How high (or low) are your bitrates?

Assuming your project is 16x9 and 23.976 progressive, you can try this to create an MPEG for a 24P DVD:

In the Procoder "Load Target Preset" window:

1. Select CD/DVD

2. Select DVD

3. Select "MPEG2-DVD-NTSC (mastering quality)". This uses a 2-pass VBR with an average 6000 kbps bitrate, which should give you a very high quality result.

4. In the "Target Parameters" window:

Change Framerate to "23.976p -> NTSC (3-2 pulldown)".

Change Aspect Ratio Code to "16x9".

(When you create a DVD from the resulting files using your DVD software, such as Adobe Encore, it will play as 24P on computers and progressive monitors, but will use pulldown on a standard television.)

You can also choose the Advanced button in Procoder and select the Video Filters tab --- there are some corrective filters you might investigate if you are not happy with things. (However, I have noticed that Procoder's output sometimes looks darker than the original on a computer monitor, but looks fine on a television).
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:53 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, I rendered out a DV avi and opened up Procoder, selected my source as the file and selected my target using the above preset. But when I go to render it I get the famous error window telling me it has to close the kernal. If I switch the frame rate from the 23.97 or 24p to the 29.97 it renders fine. Now the avi was rendered out at 23.97 from premiere and when I play it the image bounces. When I load it into Procoder the file says its a 720x480 23.97 fps dv avi. But down on the right column under parameters it says its at 856x480 and at 29.97 fps. So there is definetly something not clicking. Plus if I right click on the file and go to properties it says its 720x480 29.97. So I'm getting three diffrent read outs. So I don't know if that could part of the problem. I guess I am looking for is how the hell do I shoot in 24p and get it to DVD at 24p. I mean if I set the target frame rate as 29.97 doesn't that defeat the purpose of shooting in 24p? I really am stuck here guys. As always, thanks.
Old April 10th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Since I'm not in NTSC country I don't have to deal with this whole
24p thing. So I can't really help here, but:

1. which version of procoder are you running? I assume it is an up to date version

2. if procoder understands pulldown (I'm not sure if it understands advanced pulldown) that might be the reason you are seeing different readouds

3. the different resolution is just the DV resolution (in 16:9) at a 1.0 pixel aspect ratio (= your computer monitor)

4. try outputting as an UNCOMPRESSED (ie, no codec) AVI file in true 23.976 (the last 6 is important!) and see what happens then.

Per default when exporting in DV it insert the 2:3 (or 2:3:3:2)
pulldown again, which might give some problems. The uncompressed
AVI out should not do this.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes it is the current version.

It has a place for pull down, and it is set for the 3:2

Well I did export just a straight dv avi. That is what this last post was about. But again it crashed everytime I tried to make a mpeg in 23.97. I don't know I might have to just use the main concept one that comes with premiere pro. But if anyone else can think of something I am doing plz, let me know.
Old April 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Do you do upper field first or lower? And where do you see 23.976 at? I only see 23.97
Old April 18th, 2005, 04:27 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

You should not do any upper or lower fields first. 23.976 fps is PROGRESSIVE,
not interlaced!

I don't hav Procoder currently installed, and as I said I'm in a PAL country,
so no experience with 24p myself.

I wasn't saying I am seeing 23.976 fps anywhere, it's just that this is the
full complete number, not 23.97.

Did you try the uncompressed export?

Otherwise I would try to find a frameserver for your NLE and feed it the
footage in that way.

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8
Major Player

I'll try explaining this again:

The Canopus software, while great, doesn't have the best (or any?) instructions for creating a 24P MPEG2 with 3-2 pulldown flag.

I) Prepare the source:

1. Render your video from Premiere as uncompressed 23.976fps progressive (NO FIELDS) and NO PULLDOWN.

2. Load the uncompressed 23.976fps progressive video into procoder.

3. DO NOT add the 3-2 pulldown from the filters list for the source.

II) Create the target.

In the Procoder "Load Target Preset" window:

1. Select CD/DVD

2. Select DVD

3. Select "MPEG2-DVD-NTSC (mastering quality)". This uses a 2-pass VBR with an average 6000 kbps bitrate, which should give you a very high quality result.

Once you have selected the preset target and closed the "Load Target Preset" window, you will see the "Target Parameters" window on the right side of the screen.

4. In the "Target Parameters" window:

Change Framerate to "23.976p -> NTSC (3-2 pulldown)".

Change Aspect Ratio Code to "16x9" if that is what the source is.

****LEAVE THE INTERLACING for the TARGET as "Lower/Bottom Field First"****

I know the interlacing part seems wrong, but it isn't --- it sets a flag. When you create a DVD from the resulting files using your DVD software, such as Adobe Encore, it will play as 24P on computers and progressive monitors, but will use pulldown on a standard television.
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Well here is the outcome. I am unable no matter what I have done, render out a mpeg at 23.976. It crashes the program everytime. So I rendered it out at 29.97 and I see the blending of the frames. I am able to render out a 23.976 mpeg in premiere. And after watching both clips it's hard to say the canopus looks better, due to the diffrent frame rate. So I'm not what else i can do to get that to work. Something I noticed is in procoder the clip I select as source comes up as 23.976 but the parameters show it as 29.97. Kinda like how after you capture the footage and check the properties by right clicking it says its at 29fps. But premiere sees it as 24p. For now looks like I will just have to use the main concept for now.
Old April 30th, 2005, 03:41 AM   #10
RED Code Chef

I'm sorry to hear about your problems Clint. Perhaps you can try contacting
Canopus about this issue (you should be entitled to support)? I think they
may even have a forum of their own, perhaps someone there can help you
with this annoying problem!

Good luck!

Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE