Edius 2.5 question (for dummies) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Edius 2.5 question (for dummies)

Hi,

I am hoping that there are experts out there who can help me solve this very simple problem I have using Canopus EDIUS.

Basically, I just trying to place a transition between two clips that are already in place on the timeline. According to Edius manual, there must be a margin between the two clips before I can do that. Currently, there are black triangles at the end of the two clips (meaning, end of previous clip and start of new clip). It says I am to place an OUT point at the begining of the new clip and a IN point at the end of the previous clip.

I keep trying to place IN and OUT points on the timeline, but no matter what I try, I can't get the two clips to form a margin. I must be missing something here - but, what?

Thanks,
TS
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

edius is a strange but powerful beast..

to create in out points, the easiest way is to set you preview window to Record.
the icons will change near your trnasport panel (you will see mark in and mark out buttons)
now move your cursor to where u want to set in a marker, click the mark in.. u should see a semicircle wedge with teh flat side facing right...
now drag ur marker to the out point.. and click on mark out.. you should see a similar wedge, this time flat area facing left..
now click and drag ur transition..

Once i have the 2 clips side by side touching, I usually just click and drag the transition and then tweak from there.. but im using Pro3.1 so i dunno what the deal is with 2.5

another way is to find the second clip and right click, a load of menus will be made available, just select insert transition

there are many tutorials online about edius...
I just wish it was a lil more intuitive to use.. for the third installment, its one of the most powerful NLEs ive used when it comes to filter manipulation..

Last edited by Peter Jefferson; May 20th, 2005 at 09:25 PM.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Thank you for the reply. I have found my answers from the Canopus dealer locally. Not so simple as you think.

I edit my video using a single track paradigm (not A-B ... multi-track paradigm). In order to create a "margin", both video clips must mate.

Zoom in on the timeline, until you can see where the two clips are
relative to each other. If there is any GAP between the two clips, you
will have to BUTT them together. Now drop the transition in...

TS
Old May 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM   #4
Rextilleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TingSern Wong
Thank you for the reply. I have found my answers from the Canopus dealer locally. Not so simple as you think.

I edit my video using a single track paradigm (not A-B ... multi-track paradigm). In order to create a "margin", both video clips must mate.

Zoom in on the timeline, until you can see where the two clips are
relative to each other. If there is any GAP between the two clips, you
will have to BUTT them together. Now drop the transition in...

TS

Ah, you should have bought Vegas--it was designed for single track editing.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:47 AM   #5
Major Player

I have DVStorm+ card on my PC. Works beautifully. Encodes MPEG1 / 2 in realtime.

So, EDIUS sounds like a logical upgrade to me.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

well if u have the storm, all teh old features (storm fx etc) are available on edius pro 3 as standard now.. so theres really no need for the storm2 card anymore..

even transcoding to mpg2 can be much faster when using Procoder as a standalone tool..

although multitrack realtime video will take a hammering without the storm..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:17 PM   #7
Major Player

Correctly said ... multitrack video will most likely crawl to a halt without the DVSTORM card :-). Since we are here, all the Canopus marketing boys locally said EDIUS 3.0 is meant for HD video production, and if I stick to only SD, EDIUS 2.5 is more than enough. Are they wrong here? That's also the impression Canopus website giving me as well.

Anyway, since DVSTORM card is already paid for, might as well make full use of it until it dies :-).
TingSern Wong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE