Cineform Users? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 28th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1
Major Player

Cineform Users?

I know that Cineform and Edius are an unsupported duo, but having been a Cineform user for a few years, their primary advantage has shifted from preview acceleration, to the advent of their First Light add on, along with a great codec for color handling, archiving, etc.

I mention this not to be a Cineform cheerleader, but to establish the reliance on Cineform and a reluctance to do without it.

I have just downloaded the trial version of Edius 5, and having lived in the "CS" world for many years, I feel like I have come home.

Is there any way to make Edius recognize the Cineform HD codec on my system and allow me to export with it?

I have already confirmed that I can drop my existing Cineform encoded clips into the Edius 5 timeline (with First Light adjustments as well), so I am hopeful that I can export directly to Cineform as well.

Last edited by Marty Baggen; March 28th, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
New Boot

First Cineform codec is not supported by Thomson-GV.

codec "Canopus HQ" is everything you need in EDIUS ... This codec is far superior in quality and usefulness to Cineform.

"Canopus HQ" supports up to 1920x1080p resolution, the quality is excellent, real-time will EDIUS, supports RGB + Alpha (exported in After Effects CS y Combustion), EDIUS in any project you can export it directly with this codec.
Andres Larico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think the first question to ask is why you are using Cineform? Edius will edit most files native in realtime so the initial advantages of using Cineform for editing speed with other NLE's is not needed( this is true for AVCHD with Neo Booster 2.5 and soon with AVCHD for Edius Pro 5.5). Others like DV, HDV, XDCAM etc are all realtime no need to even go to the Canopus HQ codec. There was a valid reason to use intermediates like Cineform and HQ when computer processor, memory and hard drives were slow.
Colour correction is very elaborate in Edius too and non destructive of your original files.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Thank you Andres and Ron for your input.... I really appreciate it.

My reliance on Cineform predates my consideration of Edius by 5 or 6 years and a very large archive of mine is done with the Cineform codec.... so that was the primary concern.

I wanted to confirm that I would be able to access those files for re edits or new projects which is a very common occurrence.

I will have to experiment with the Edius color correction. I may not have the need for First Light that I originally thought.

Edius is proving to be a fantastic surprise at every turn. I can't wait to become more familiar with its capabilities and performance.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Just a note,

What a pleasant surprise to see the Edius accept cineform files!!!!!

Like others, I have tons of captured cineform files.

For those that do not know cineform is awesome for color correcting.

dale guthormsen
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:05 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Cineform will play on most NLE"s as long as the Cineform codec is on the PC. Edius will not output a Cineform file though. I used Cineform for my AVCHD conversion and edited in Edius until the AVCHD2HQ converter was as fast to convert as Cineform Neo Scene.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Cineform is available to any NLE that can read it. IE, the Cineform reader when installed with the codec resides in the system 32 (or syswow64 on 64bit os). The only caveat is older NLE's such as PPro 2.0 will not be able to access it (More current version of Neo, etc) due to oddball programming changes Cineform made that prevent's it from being accessed (tested myself and can confirm).

Edius has far exceeded my expectations. SONY Vegas Pro is a total let down and any of those who say it's rock solid only need to read how many users are not happy with it's performance. Edius Neo 2, albeit doesn't have scopes, audio levels and more file format support, is a fantastic way to get into Edius for less than $200. In addition, the project files can be opened back and forth between Edius Pro 5.x and Neo 2.5 Booster as long as no changes have been made to the project file in Edius 5.x that are not a feature of Neo 2.5 Booster. This came officially from Edius Tech support upon my inquiry.

Marty - I'm in Eugene, give me a shout if you want to talk Edius :)
Old September 6th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #8
Tourist

OK, I know this comes at a late time...

Hi Marty,

I have the Procoder 3, which enables me to export to Cineform directly from within Edius 5.51. It shows in Edius export menu under "Others". I run this on Win 7 64 bit. One note though, I can "only" start the Procoder Express 3, the normal Procoder acts weird when started from within Edius, not that this limits the workflow...

Regards,

Erik
Erik Hoirup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2010, 04:23 AM   #9
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

I left the cineform codec when it first kind of came out after I did some side by side test with colour correction on some of my underwater footage.

Canopus HQ could handle the CC better with less banding and it could also convert on the fly in realtime back then with my old computer where as cineform could not :-)

Now days I just edit HDV as is...no need to convert to anything.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE