Does anyone use Edius on a Mac using Bootcamp? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old April 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does anyone use Edius on a Mac using Bootcamp?

Just wondering... I know I can run windows (and hence, Edius) on my Mac, just curious of the performance...
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Works great! Very responsive. I am still on Edius ver 4.6 though
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, I do. Works great! Don't have any trouble with Edius ver 5.12
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What kind of specs do you have in your mac?

I.E. - Ram, processor, etc... Thanks! I have a 2.66 intel core 2 duo. I can drop in 4 gigs of ram (only have 2 now).

My main concern is my beloved mac suffering with pc problems and such...
Marc S. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Most people with PC's don't have problems. Problems occur if incompatible hardware and drivers are installed( something that isn't possible on a MAC), or viruses etc appear because people are not diligent in keeping the antivirus software up to date. The flexibility of a PC presents the possibility for conflict. Stick to a configured machine and use a restricted set a applications and nothing will be different to a MAC. Since most MAC's are now PC's running Apple software they will run Windows just fine too giving the opportunity to choose software from either platform. I might even consider myself if I wasn't totally happy with the Windows software I have now.
By the way I have 4 PC's only one of which is allowed to get email and surf the net with heavy virus protection etc. Neither it or any of the others gives me any "Windows" problems. I have had power supplies fail after several years, CPU fans get noisy and be replaced etc. Seems like the same failures my MAC friends have!!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuong Dinh View Post
Yes, I do. Works great! Don't have any trouble with Edius ver 5.12
Hey Dinh,

I'm considering buying Edius and running it thru Bootcamp to do Same-Day-Edits with the 7D.

Have you attempted to put 5D/7D files directly on the timeline without transcoding, and does it play back smoothly? Do you think it can be used on a fast Macbook Pro to project Same Day Edits without any transcoding or rendering?

Thanks!
jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P. Jones View Post
Hey Dinh,

I'm considering buying Edius and running it thru Bootcamp to do Same-Day-Edits with the 7D.

Have you attempted to put 5D/7D files directly on the timeline without transcoding, and does it play back smoothly? Do you think it can be used on a fast Macbook Pro to project Same Day Edits without any transcoding or rendering?

Thanks!
jones
For now, 5D/7D files are very choppy with Edius 5.5 (the last version support AVCHD real time) a both Bootcam or PC.

My best solution is to use ProCoder 3 to converts them to Canopus HQ full HD 1080p or 720P depend what you like. It works extremely well with Edius and its better than the 'Batch Convert' feature in Edius.

Hope this help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE