Very strange HDV problem... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 1st, 2010, 07:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Very strange HDV problem...

Recently I completed a shoot using the JVC HD110 camcorder recording to a Firestore HD100 hard drive. I copied all the video onto my computer for editing with Edius. This is where things get strange, two of the clips, when playing in the preview window in Edius look like they are playing the same video again and again at a super high rate of speed. The audio continues as normal. The timecode overlay also appears as though several different timecodes are being overlayed on top of each other. This doesn't affect the entire clips, but only portions of the clips.

There are ten clips total, and only two clips are experiencing the problem. When the affected clips are played from the timeline, the result is different. The affected region shows as solid green video. The audio continues unaffected.

I was able to solve the problem by running the clips through procoder. The clips were shot in HDV 720p at 24fps. I rendered out the clips from procoder with the same settings. The new clips from procoder work flawlessly in Edius.

So my question- what in the world is going on here?
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Major Player

do the clip properties match your current project setting?

what is your current project setting?

when you view the troublesome clip properties in the bin, what do you see as frame rate? and pixel size? and interlacing setting? and aspect?
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Project settings...

The project settings should match the clip settings. The camera was shooting 720p at 24fps. The project is set for 24p and 23.97fps. All the clips that I imported from the Firestore were shot in one giant take (it was a stage performance). The Firestore, due to the limits of that FAT 32 file structure, separated the video into different clips, but the camera never stopped recording. There are seven clips total, and only two are exhibiting the problem. The two affected clips though only exhibit the problem for about a minute or two in the center of the clip.

Here is where it gets interesting, clicking on clip properties on any of the non-affected clips correctly displays the clip at 23.97fps with a resolution of 1280 by 720 and the field order listed as progressive scan. The clips with the problem though lists the frame rate as 29.97i.

The problem itself is so strange... when it gets to the trouble spot in the clip, it is like the past five seconds of the clip loop repeatedly, but at a very high rate of speed where the audio continues as normal. Then after a minute or two the clip continues playing normally. VLC media player correctly plays the clips too.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:47 AM   #4
Major Player

I think there is a certain way of adding files that are split because of Fat32 limit

in any case, can you change the problem clips to the correct frame rate in clip properties and see what happens?

there is also a setting in application settings that may need to be ticked or unticked, look at adjust frame rate at the top of the following location
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/a...settings04.gif

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE