drive speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old June 29th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Inner Circle

drive speed

Good afternoon,

Well, being new to edius it seems I am always coming up with new issues I have yet to sort out.

I use external hard drives, usb driven 7200 rpm and 1tb in size. They are not raid or anything, just standard. Never had a problem in Vegas or PP.

When I am capturing with edius after about 9 minutes its stops capturing and says the drive is not fast enough.

Hum. does that mean the drive is not turning fast enough, or not transmitting fast enough?

If the drive is perhaps half full it will pop up sooner!!

I tried it on both of my computers and I get the same thing..

Options: More expensive as you go down the list!!!

1. purchase a fire wire drive.

2. purchase a 2tb esata drive

3. Instal a velociraptor for OS, then the two remaining Tb Hard drives configure as raid 0

Is there anything I can do about that in general????
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Are you capturing using native format or HQ AVI?
Old June 30th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Why not just capture with Vegas if it works. Edius is my main video editor but I never capture with it. For HDV or DV I always use Vegas as I find it more convenient. Since Edius will work with native HDV files I only convert to HQ for AVCHD when I have more than one track to edit.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

In most cases it's not a storage/transfer speed issue. What happens is this: your camcorder is delivering the video, Edius transcodes "on the fly" and transfers the resulting video to the storage. If anything going on on the computer at this time manages to overload either your processor or your RAM, the process gets intrerupted because the tape will not stop rolling.

Capturing to Canopus HQ works flawlessly on dedicated workstations where nothing else is being done at the same time, but on regular computers there are a number of things that might start working even without you knowing (antivirus stuff being the most notorius).

As advised above, try using another app for capture. If Vegas works for you, use that; I always use HDV Split, a free program found on the internet. You then have the option of either working with the m2t file or transcode it to Canopus HQ if you need heavy processing.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

good evening,

Thank you all for the information and advice.

I will continue to capture with cineform and Vegas from now on.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE