Help: Migrating Edius 5 with (NX Bay) to new OS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 21st, 2015, 06:31 AM   #1
New Boot

Help: Migrating Edius 5 with (NX Bay) to new OS

I am looking for a discussion on "Considerations when migrating Edius5 (with NX Bay) from Vista to Win-7 Professsional."

Background:
I archive old footage (standard definition media) using old tech. Edius 5 with NX Bay (RCA and S-Video connections) plays a key role.

The pain comes from dealing with the Vista OS. I've decided it is time to tweak my process and dump Vista, if at all possible.

Yesterday, I checked with Grass Valley before attempting to migrate my OS system and I was informed that End of Service for Edius5 was back in 2012. They cannot advise me, but there is always the Forum.

Some initial questions:

--As Edius5 is no longer supported by Grass Valley, How best to secure a smooth migration from Vista to a clean, new version of Win7 Professional? (Drivers and such.)

--Would a newer version of Edius (Edius 6, or newer) still utilize the functionality of the NX Bay? I would be willing to upgrade the software, if I could still have the functionality of the NX Bay.
Old March 21st, 2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Help: Migrating Edius 5 with (NX Bay) to new OS

I'm pretty sure I was running it on Win 7 just fine - but at the moment I have Edius 6 installed so this is just my all too failable memory.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:37 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jim. Thank you for your reply.

Just so I'm clear: You are able to access your NX Bay utilizing Edius 6? If so, upgrading to Edius 6 would be something for me to shoot for. Please confirm.

Alternatively, another Forum member suggested (offline) swapping out my C:/drive for a new HD and doing a clean load of Windows 7 onto it. If something were to go awry with Edius 5 running on Windows 7, I could swap back the original HD and, well, no harm done.

It's great to have these suggestions. I'm feeling much more positive about a good outcome.

Thanks to you!
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Wrangler

The NX card is supported by Edius 7 Pro as legacy hardware..
The Edius forum/board is at Grass Valley Forums
It is both active and helpful.
Edius 7 Pro is a 64-bit app so you will need 64-bit Win 7
It no longer uses the dongle.
Projects saved from Edius 7 are not backward compatible with Edius 5.
Your version 5 plug-in pack is not available in Edius 7, you may need to upgrade them if still needed.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Tim. Thank You. Many good points.

Indeed, I checked with Grass Valley support, but didn't check with the GV Forum.

Interesting about the lack of backward compatibility in Edius 7 to Edius 5. May need to run both versions for the foreseeable future.
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #6
New Boot

No, no, no! So very sorry: I meant, of course, to address Don P.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 05:30 AM   #7
Wrangler

Call me anything but late for dinner!

It is not appropriate to install/run different versions of Edius on the same computer. Folks who need to run multiple versions usually do it by having separate boot drives for each version of Edius (or a dual boot configured PC).

Edius 7 should be able to open Edius 5 projects, subject to having available any applied filters, effects, and transitions.
Old April 4th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi Don,
Yes, I'm with you on the separate boot drives. The PC in question has a total of 5 hard drives (two of them boot drives). Seemed wiser to keep the old system at hand should anything go wrong with the OS upgrade. Contingency planning.

So far, Windows7 Pro is working like a dream in general and Edius 5 in particular is loving the updated OS. Edius 7 will come in handy down the line, and I'll run the two Edius versions, as you clarified, on separate drives until I'm satisfied Edius 7 can deliver without loss of continuity from Edius 5. I'm being cautious; surprises are not good for business.

Thanks for checking back with me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE