Edius 8 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old July 29th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Edius 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
EDIUS ONLY uses integrated quicksync for preview and encoding and does not use the GPU from Nvidia or AMD for example. Effects plugins will use these additional cards but EDIUS does not use for encoding or preview. I run my system with no other GPU than the i7 4790K as I do not use any of the GPU accelerated plugins. So one may find that the Intel with integrated GPU is in fact faster than a 6 core in EDIUS because it uses the Quicksync GPU so much for editing and export.

Ron Evans
Ron, so you are advising to use the on-board graphics of the 6700k and no graphics card? Are you using an Edius Spark card for realtime preview?
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #17
Trustee

Well that makes it interesting Ron. Thanks for the information. I am really trying to future proof this next purchase to a certain degree, so thought the newer processor would be the way to go. Now i'm wondering if i should hold off and see what happens with both Intel CPU's & also Edius.
Regards,
Bryce
Old July 30th, 2016, 12:41 AM   #18
Inner Circle

A i7 6700k will outperform any other processor with more cores that doesn't have integrated graphics when rendering to a h264 file, that's why the 6700 processor is the most cost effective processor available right now. I also have been editing in the past without a dedicated graphics card and just by using the integrated gpu on the cpu to help with 4k playback and rendering.
The spark card will only output a 1080p 25p timeline to a tv screen, there are other cards available that support other resolutions and framerates but for that you best ask for advice on the grassvalley edius forum.

Quote:
I am really trying to future proof this next purchase
Pc technology moves so fast I rather by a new one every 2-3 years. I only need the motherboard, cpu and memory and move all the rest like harddrives or dedicated output cards from my pc to the new one. My last pc was less then 1K (excl taxes) and handles everything I trow at it very well.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
Ron, so you are advising to use the on-board graphics of the 6700k and no graphics card? Are you using an Edius Spark card for realtime preview?
Currently I use an i7 4790K and like Noa just upgrade motherboard , cpu and memory when I change. Yes I use a SPark card for monitoring but will move to one of the Black Magic cards next time if they get to the point of outputting 3840x2160 at a reasonable cost. I only use UHD in a 1920x1080 interlaced timeline so the Spark works fine. I do not use any of the GPU accelerated effects so do not have another graphics card in the system. If you use a lot of GPU effects then of course you would need a fast graphics card. However then you also need to make sure that the onboard GPU is active all the time to get EDIUS to use Quicksync. Lots of instruction around to do that.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 11:17 AM   #20
Trustee

Thanks Noa & Ron,
Going this route makes things a lot more affordable & i should end up with a much faster system. I am curious how it all works with the quick sync & a dedicated GPU. Will they both work in tandem? I would like to play around a little with DaVinci Resolve so would need to upgrade my GPU for that, but not if it doesn't play nicely with the quick sync.
Thanks,
Bryce
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:34 PM   #21
Inner Circle

There are lots of instruction on the GV forum of how to get quicksync working with GPU etc . Short answer is to make sure the bois is set to always make onboard GPU active and have the onboard output connected to a monitor input ( does not have to be active just powered on) so that it is "seen" . So you can run a normal GPU for monitoring for instance and get all the GPU acceleration for GPU effects but still have Quicksync for EDIUS preview and output.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:09 PM   #22
Trustee

Great thanks Ron,
Will check it out.
Regards,
Bryce
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #23
Trustee

Ok, quick update. I have replaced the MoBo, CPU & Ram based on the feedback here. Wow! this thing is super fast compared to my old system. Still ironing out some issues, like the Mobo not recognizing the keyboard plugged into the rear USB2 port?? A few other little things, but overall, i am happy with the upgrade. Now to get editing!
Thanks for all the help.
Bryce

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE