I have to make a new PC for 4K editing. help! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old December 13th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: I have to make a new PC for 4K editing. help!

I don't know about Edius, but I am using Premiere Pro CC, which does not use Quicksync for encoding.

Exporting to MPEG2 in standard definition from the 2.5 hour 4K 8 track timeline I mentioned previously took just under 3 hours, compared to over 30 hours for a similar project on my old machine (although that was exporting to h.264 at 4k).

Watching the Performance stats during the export, all 6 cores of the 8700K were running at around 82% capacity and overclocking at 4.3GHz while the 1080 Ti graphics card was running at about 30% capacity. The motherboard was up to about 65 degrees so the system was not at all stressed, although maybe if I were using more colour correction and effects it might have to work a bit harder.

Good luck with your build!
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #17
Major Player

Surely they are good news but you should compare i7-870K with i9-7900X or even i9-7940X. I think they have not quicksync and I'd like to know the difference in pratice.

About the 1080 Ti graphics card do you mean Asus GeForce ROG STRIX-GTX1080-8G DDR5X?
Can you tell me if it is possibile to use those HDMI version 2.0 for an external signal to 4K TV? Does it works enough fine to export the 4K signal to TV?
I thank you!
Old December 13th, 2017, 04:41 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics Card which has 11Gb of memory. The reviews I read showed that this card was slightly faster than most others.

I run an LG 4K monitor from the card but I think it can support at least 2 4K monitors at the same time.

The more expensive processors will obviously give you better performance but I've read that the performance of Premiere Pro does not improve beyond 8-10 cores. I don't know if Edius is able to make use of of multiple cores.

Have you thought of trying a 16 core Threadripper?
Tony Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Inner Circle

If your intention is to view the timeline in edius on a 4K screen then best get a BM intensity pro 4K card

A very fast GPU is not necessary, I would get a midrange gtx1060 with 6gb, Edius hardly benefit's from a fast videocard unless you use a lot of gpu accelerated effects, I have yet to see proof that a gtx 1080 makes enough difference in performance in edius compared to a 1060 to justify the pricedifference.

Quicksync makes a big difference and the i9-7900X and i9-7940X doesn't have that, the i7 8700k has. Quicksync can accelerate encoding considerably up to a point where it can keep up with a i9 7900k but when you plan to use the x264 encoder that will allow you to choose higher quality settings for smaller file sizes then corecount makes the difference and a i9 7900k will be a lot faster.

For realtime playback quicksync also helps with x264 codecs.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Neal View Post
Have you thought of trying a 16 core Threadripper?
I have a 1950x with edius, a threadripper only works nice with edius 9 wg, not edius 8wg, there are however a lot of issues with this platform, you either are lucky and get a good working system or one with a lot of minor to major issues, memory compatibility is one of those problems. Adobe users for instant complain the most about bad performance with after effects or just have a very bad multicore usage in premiere, also here there are exceptions from users getting good performance.
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:40 AM   #21
Major Player

I have to thank all you because now I have clearer ideas.
A last question please:

>If your intention is to view the timeline in edius on a 4K screen then best get a BM intensity pro 4K card

What are the differences between BM intensity pro 4K card and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics Card external signals (TV)?
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #22
Inner Circle

On the edius forum I found this topic back which explains more in detail: https://forum.grassvalley.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29288
Old December 14th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
There are however a lot of issues with this platform......
I disagree, Threadripper works great.

If some software cannot handle too many threads, which frankly is absurd for video processing which with the exception of some specific operations can easily be made multi-treaded, then that is not the blame of Threadripper. That's like saying that a fiber internet connection has many problems because of the many sites still using slower connections.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I didn't mention threadripper specifically which is only the processor, I was referring to the platform which obviously still has to mature. My pc build had issues with the first memory from hyperx that I selected, it was on the motherboard qvl list yet refused to boot the pc, then I got corsair memory which also was on the qvl list and it did boot the pc but it only boots in a dual channel configuration but crashes as soon the memory is set in a quad channel configuration so the pc is back at the pc builder probably to get a replacement board.

At first my pc got very poor performance and it appeared that it was because of "hpet" which you had to disable by setting "bcdedit /set useplatformclock false" through a cmd commandline. Some benchmark score almost doubled after that, it appears that asus own ai suite was causing this.

I"m not blaming the processor but the platform needs time to get better drivers, bios updates and improve compatibility/stability in general. Often software is not using all cores right, like I see a lot of adobe users complain about the bad performance they get with their 1950x yet I see max yuryev being very happy with his setup and also using adobe so why is that?

I got very poor performance when I first used edius 8 as it only used all cores at a very low percentage during encoding, edius 9 which I got recently however was just the opposite as it uses all cores up to 90-100% which made a hugh difference in performance. I havent heared any intel processorusers claim the same so again, why?

Lot's of small wrinkles to be ironed out which is to be expected from such a new system, I"m still hoping to get a well performing pc back.
Old December 14th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #25
Inner Circle

There was a funny old saying in the computer world ‘America pioneers were easy to recognize because of the arrows in their back’
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE