DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   DV Storm / Rex (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/5907-dv-storm-rex.html)

George Lin September 2nd, 2002 03:22 PM

Canopus Dual CPU BUG

This is an issue with the Storm and RaptorRT in Win2K.
It's unstable.

Windows XP fixes the problem for most users.

George
http://video.mylittlefamily.com

Mike Rupp September 12th, 2002 03:22 PM

"new" canopus RT Card

I've been using the "older" raptor card for a couple years, and would like to get into the "new" card that offers RT effects. I can't seem to get info from the Canopus website- can someone tell me what the minimum processor requirement is with the RT card? It runs only on Win2000, correct? Is there still a "trade-in" available with Canopus to swap out cards? Mike Rupp, Phoenix

CarterTG September 12th, 2002 10:29 PM

Got to the site without problems.

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/dvraptor-rt/pt_dvraptor-rt.asp

Chris Hurd September 13th, 2002 11:12 AM

Mike, I don't know how much you want to spend, but you might want to look into the brand new DV Storm 2 (announced today), same pricing as the original Storm and a significant leap in real-time performance over the Raptor cards. In my opinion, the Raptor RT, which isn't really RT, is the red-headed stepchild of the Canopus product line. Storm, however, is Number One Son.

Rob Lohman September 16th, 2002 04:51 AM

Saw a DV Storm 2 presentation (quite a bad presentation I think)
on IBC. It looked like a very nice realtime product indeed, but
I had my thoughts about the quality (but that could also have
been the screen I was watching it on). It was hard to judge
though because I had just seen all kind of professional stuff
do amazing things in realtime (pinnacle professional stuff, discreet
and da vinci etc.).

Mike Rehmus December 11th, 2002 04:41 PM

Canopus Software Upgrade

Canopus is releasing a RexEdit software upgrade for thier DVRexRT and DVRexRT Pro. $99.

Sounds like it will be nice.

Robert Knecht Schmidt December 11th, 2002 04:52 PM

Was the oft-touted Storm Edit 2 ever released, or was that a myth all along? I still have Storm Edit 1.02 on my machine. (I don't come across much Canopus news any more since I stopped visiting their forums.)

Rick Spilman December 11th, 2002 05:01 PM

I am definately underwhelmed. The upgrade has a couple of nice features - eyedropper white and black balance and some nice PIP effects. Otherwise it is just more cheesy transitions. Unless I am missing something, there is not much there there.

Rick

Mike Rehmus December 11th, 2002 06:42 PM

I'm hoping they will have fixed some of the bad programming that has been in RexEdit since the beginning.

Auto white balance and PIP upgrade is worth $99 to me.

Transitions are not something I use with a lot of frequency but I like the choices when I need them.

Rick Spilman December 12th, 2002 07:58 AM

I've just about given up on Canopus and am a bit leary to send any more money their way for less than a real upgrade.

I have just about gotten comfortable with adjusting white and black levels with the YUV curves in RexRT. The new upgrade feature would be easier but then I can live with the old way. Don't need it that often. (I actually like some of the color corrections in Premiere better. Of course they are not only not real time but they crash whenever I use Canopus transitions.) I find I can do almost the same PIP effects with the tools I have. And I can't recall when I last used an Xplode transition.

Today I will be opening my editing box to drop in an OHCI card so I can install Vegas. I will probably take the time to copy the Canopus serial #s off the cards just in case I change my mind.

And who knows maybe Canopus will get its act together. And maybe the White Soxs will win the pennant and we will all live to see world peace.

Rick

Adam Lawrence January 8th, 2003 02:17 PM

DV Storm / Rex

has anyone captured video onto the Canopus Dv Storm??

i recently captured some footage from DVD to edit in Premiere.
After the capture the footage appeared very interlaced and choppy, even
mostly noticable to the average eye when played back...

Ive noticed this happening on both Canopus DV Storm and Rex.

Is there a compression setting to eliminate that annoying
interlace buzz?? As if this is a result of the compression itself?

anyone know?

Thanks

Steve Leone January 8th, 2003 02:33 PM

DV Storm Capture

I have used both Rex and Storm, capture worked fine, video looks sweet.....one possibility..maybe two.....is the hardware new?? possible its defective...I know someone who had to return a Rex box, was getting funky results.....remember the codec is hardware, so if the chip is bad, it may not de-compress properly. Also , there is AVI1 and AVI2....look at the Canopus web site for info on the difference and a conversion utility, althoug I have never had to use it myself. Be sure to double check all the setup parameters for the plugin in Premiere.

Adam Lawrence January 8th, 2003 03:55 PM

well i doubt if its a fualty chip. I used both a Rex and Storm and they both produced the same results...its not that the footage is bad, its actually clean.
it just looks as if its really interlaced, even when you have a still frame, you
can see the jumpy interlaced fields....strange

Steve Leone January 8th, 2003 04:15 PM

Rex and Storm

Did you check out the Canopus site re: avi1/avi2??? what kind of deck are you using? is it on the Canopus compatibility list?? You didn say whether these are new systems that have always done this or whether they have both DEVELOPED this problem. If the systems are new, did you make sure that the motherboards and chipsets are on the Canopus Hardware compatibilty list? its not as stringent as Avids, but it defintely should be taken seriously. I have had bad playback on a few occasions with captured footage on my system due to communiacations problems via Firewire....I have seen this happen on a lot of machines....try turning off your deck/camera, shutting down Premiere, then re-stating your deck, and then re-starting Premiere, in that order....thats always cures it on my system. Syntoms included white horizontal flashes, a bit of choppiness, and bad audio...the above fix cures the problem. I also suggest going to the Canopus FAQ's and user groups for good info.
www.canopuscorp.com
also, be sure to defrag your drives after capturing.

Steve Leone January 8th, 2003 04:18 PM

Storm Capture

It just occured to me that you are capturing off of a DVD......using the anolog ins on these products?? S in or Component in?? its possible that the problem is from a Copyguard....try capturing from a TAPED source into the analog ins to check that possiblity. make sure you KNOW the source is good material, maybe something you have worked with before. Some analog signals can be so poor that they wont capture with out a TBC.