Canopus ADVC-300 Advanced Digital Video Converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old July 7th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1
New Boot

Canopus ADVC-300 Advanced Digital Video Converter

Has anyone used the Canopus ADVC-300 Advanced Digital Video Converter for their tape conversions? I would appreciate their feedback on the performance of this bit of hardware, particularly in regards to this bit of description:

"It instantly cleans, stabilizes and preserves old VHS and Hi8 videos in clean DV format by means of high-quality image enhancement technology that includes digital noise reduction and image stabilization using Line Time Base Correction (LTBC)."

If anyone can provide a little bit of comparison between that model and the Canopus ADVC-110 Bidirectional Media Converter, please reply. I need to buy one next week.
Lee Blaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I have the ADVC-300 and have used it to convert Hi8 material to DV, using a S-video cable from a Hi8 camcorder to play the material back, then feeding the DV from the ADVC-300 into a DVX-100A for recording to tape. It works well, but keep in mind that if the input material is in bad shape, nothing will fully resurrect it. The settings on the ADVC-300 can be adjusted using a computer interface, but out of laziness I chose to set them using the mini-switches on the unit and watching the output to make setting decisions. I can't compare it to any other units since this is the only convertor which I have used. My basic impression is that it works well, but the list of its corrective functions may lead you to believe that it can work miracles, and that is not true.
Mark Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, Mark. I think that I'm going to purchase the cheaper model for the time being.
Lee Blaylock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE