I tried Edius today at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old October 14th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Trustee

I tried Edius today

First let me say that I have used Premiere 6.5 for the last 3 years and its all I know but know it well. It does the job but I am moving up to the HVX200 and am going to shoot DVCPRO50 (won't work on 6.5 and Matrox RT2500) so I thought I would try out a few editing demos to see what I liked best. Well, I messed around with Liquid and couldn't get comfortable with it. Then last week I tried the demo version of Edius 4 (software only) on my low end 3.0ghz dual core Dell with low end video card and no RT card. Installation was smooth and I was up and doing basic editing within 30 minutes with no crashes. Everything ran really fast and realtime. I read up on doing a few tweaks in the setup to make it look more like Premiere and so far so good. What is taking me a little time getting used to is putting all the video clips on one V1 track then applying the transitions vs. in Premiere using two video tracks, overlapping and placing the transition on the transition track.

Anyone else have any opinons on Edius4?

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Places to find help:
http://www.canopus.com/support/tutorials/EDIUS.php
http://www.videoproductions.com.au/
http://www.ediustips.com/

The last of these is a former Premiere user, so it may be be a good place to start.
David Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM   #3
New Boot

"What is taking me a little time getting used to is putting all the video clips on one V1 track then applying the transitions vs. in Premiere using two video tracks, overlapping and placing the transition on the transition track."

Mark,

You should be able to do the same as with Premier. Just have one clip on V1 and another clip on V2 overlaped and drag your transition on to V2
Hank Bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Trustee

Ah, got it.

Thanks,
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Moving along editing using SD and HDV clips with the demo and it works silky smooth. Tried to use some .mxf DVCPRO50 files though and the demo does not seem to recognize them. Does anyone know if this capability was disabled in the demo version. This is what I really wanted to test out.

Last edited by Mark Williams; October 15th, 2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You will need Edius Broadcast to edit DVCPro50 or HD, DVCPRo P2, Varicam and XDCAM.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Trustee

What type AC3 plugin are you folks using with Edius?
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Canopus has been negotiating for years to get the licensing worked out and right now edius will take ac3 on the TL(if you have a decoder) but not export to it....hoping with Procoder they will get there. For now we have to use some other app like Encore to encode to it.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #9
Trustee

I think its really odd that Edius dosen't have AC3 capability. This is a feature that essential to obtaining higher video encoding rates. Without AC3 you are stuck with using PCM audio for DVD masters which are hugh file sizes. IMO AC3 is a professional feature that is a "must have".
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I agree, and so does Canopus but they just can't get the licensing deal done.Also I never use .wav on a DVD and have several apps like Encore that can take the .wav to ac3 so while it is an inconveinance it is not true that you are stuck with .wav.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #11
Trustee

Good point Randy. Encore is a good work around but I don't have the $$ for it. Edius 4 is really growing on me and the AC3 feature integrated into the program IMO would make it outstanding. If others can get AC3 licensed I just don't understand how a company such as Canopus could let this fall to the wayside.

My current system is Premiere 6.5 with a Dolby AC3 plug-in but I can only edit SD . However, I am researching the best path to be able to edit video shot with the HVX200 which I hope to have early next year thus my interest in Edius 4 broadcast.
Old November 12th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #12
Ruler of the DownUnder UnderWorld

Hey Mark
Glad to see you are enjoying Edius.
AC3 is a bummer but encode out the audio track and run it through a AC3 encoder.

Over here in PAL land our DVD players play mpeg audio so no big deal if you have not got AC3.

Today I put a DV file into Pro Coder Express, set it to encode to vobs then once done it burn't it to a DVD. Easy as in one simple go.
Paul Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams
My current system is Premiere 6.5 with a Dolby AC3 plug-in but I can only edit SD . However, I am researching the best path to be able to edit video shot with the HVX200 which I hope to have early next year thus my interest in Edius 4 broadcast.
Mark -

Depending on your budget, you may want to look into the Adobe Production Bundles...or if you don't need the entire bundle, buy the apps you need. Don't know if they allow you to upgrade from 6.5 to the bundles, but you may want to look into that route.

Be aware though, w/Premiere Pro, you need a third party app like Raylight or Cineform to convert the MXF / P2 data to be able to edit it. You may want to check out the DVXuser forum for more info. regarding that.

From what I've read, it seems like Edius Broadcast 4 is "the" app for MXF / P2 material...and for that matter HDV, XDCam, and so on.

Good luck in your search!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #14
Trustee

I must agree on the weakness of Edius in the audio area in general and not just its lack of ac3 codec.
As a work around, after editing the video and audio in EDIUS 4, i took care that audio tracks were organized well; ie; track 1 for voice only, track 2 for stereo music in wv format. track 3 to 4 for foley or sound effects.
I then exported each track as separated wav files.

I exported an 720p HQ video file from edius.

I opened premier, loaded the HQ video and the separate audio tracks so i can mix and export a dolby 5.1 surround ac3 file for our DVD authoring files and an HD 720P wmv HD file with 6 channel audio track for DLP cinema and theatrical projection.

P.S. Ulead DVD workshop 2.2 supports audio in pcm or wav. Its just in stereo.

Hope this helps.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2006, 05:41 AM   #15
Trustee

Ted,

Thanks for the advice. It's just weird to me to find a little gem of a program like Edius that has one feature missing (AC3) that keeps it from being "great". You would think the Canopus/Grass Valley bunch would see the light.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE