EDIUS does 24p! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old October 17th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #1
HDV Cinema

EDIUS does 24p!

Running EDIUS V4 on my MacBook I had captured some 1080/24p using the Canopus HQ codec using "23.98 over 59.94". This is likely an HDCAM setting.

Tonight I had time to try creating Sequences.

1) HDV 1080/29.97i showed the pulldown perfectly. The two judder frames were as they should be.

2) HDV 1080/23.98p -- which I assume is intended for the Canon -- seems to work fine.

So -- we have a big step toward 24p. Now if EDIUS had DVI output like Liquid, I could see on my HDTV.

The TC is 24p and the judder frames are gone. So maybe more than a step -- a solution.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #2
HDV Cinema

Tonight I tried exporting an "HDV 1080/23.98p" Sequence to a HDV file. Amazingly, the only option was "HDV 1080/29.97i" which was exactly what I wanted.

But, would pulldown be applied correctly during export?

I brought the exported file into a "HDV 1080/29.97i" Timeline.

The proper 3:2 pulldown was present with the A frame on "00 as it should be.

So there is one TOTAL 24p solution!

Also found out that I can connect my MacBook via DVI to my 50-inch Sony and clone the laptop desktop. The Recorder monitor is so large on a 50-inch monitor that it can easily be used for CC.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mullen
Also found out that I can connect my MacBook via DVI to my 50-inch Sony and clone the laptop desktop. The Recorder monitor is so large on a 50-inch monitor that it can easily be used for CC.
Steve, how do you configure Edius to have just the Recorder monitor window on a separate desktop? Both the Recorder and Player monitors share the same window. It's much easier in Mediastudio Pro or AP Pro, but with Edius?
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2006, 07:16 PM   #4
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki
Steve, how do you configure Edius to have just the Recorder monitor window on a separate desktop?
You can't. But with a 50-inch monitor about 8 feet away, the quarter-screen Record monitor is about that of a 24-inch monitor. Which for CC is very clear.

Liquid does the job correctly as does FCP. But, neither support 24p.

EDIUS does have a board that outputs HS-SDI.
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:51 PM   #5
Major Player

Steve -

Just to clarify here, the footage you are mentioning here...did you acquire it from the V1U?

And are you using Edius Pro or Broadcast?
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM   #6
Trustee

Steve,

I've been using the trial version of Edius 4 for about 2 weeks now and really like it. I am a long time Premiere 6.5 user and have been looking for a new application that I am comfortable with since I am upgrading to the HVX200 to use the DVCpro50 format. Any ideas of how to get just the monitor window out to a TV monitor with displaying the whole work screen. I know the NX board will do it, but at $1500 for Edius 4 and the NX board that is out of my range. I can afford the broadcast Edius4 version at $998.

Regards,
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:27 PM   #7
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark
Steve -

Just to clarify here, the footage you are mentioning here...did you acquire it from the V1U?

And are you using Edius Pro or Broadcast?

Yes -- from the V1. I'm uing Broadcast but it makes no difference if you are using HDV.

There is no external monitor support. Canopus is still in the HD-SDI age not the HDMI new-age. But, if you mirror to a 50" monitor as I do -- the Record monitor is quite big.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Steve -

When you say "mirror", are you referring to displaying what you have on your computer monitor (meaning the entire desktop) on a external monitor? (Like they do at tradeshows).
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE