DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Edius 4 Passed our Post Test with Flying Colors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/78670-edius-4-passed-our-post-test-flying-colors.html)

Ted Ramasola November 1st, 2006 11:47 AM

Edius 4 Passed our Post Test with Flying Colors

I just canned an 8 min 30 sec Tourism Promo for my government. Shot on JVC HD100, in 24P and 30P modes. Edited using HQ codec in a 23.976 720P timeline in Edius 4.

My comments. Edius has passed the torture test considering I was still running it in a Pentium 4 at 3.4ghz HT.
I finished the project using:
7 nested sequences.

on each sequence;
7 video trax
7 audio trax
7 title trax.

Minor composite work can now be done considering;
Edius can pan scan and scale using 3D p-in-p.
It can recognize alpha channels.
Though I still did the extensive ones in After effects.

Considerable color correction can be achieved with its, (in my opinion, misleadingly named) whitebalance filters.
I did the extreme color grading (ie, involving secondary color color correction) in color finesse in AE.

overall, I think, using HQ codec, Edius truly has matured and is quite stable in this version.

Its "consolidate project" feature is a professional touch that allowed me to archive the entire project for future revisions.

I have an old storm 2 card which i use "only" to view my footage and color corection on a SD monitor. Once im done, i switch project settings to HD and export.

To those who are still doubtful which HD NLE path to migrate to, Edius 4 is worth it.
Ive used premiere for more than 10 years. Believe me, this is not an impulsive choice.

Ted

www.ramasolastudio.9k.com

www.tedramasola.9k.com

Andrew Clark November 1st, 2006 04:40 PM

Hey Ted -

Thanks for sharing your experience; most appreciate it. And since I'm on the fence as to which NLE to go with, this helps in that regard.

By the way, are you using Edius 4 Pro or Broadcast?

Paul Wags November 1st, 2006 05:19 PM

Ted
I to used the consolidated project option the other day and it works great.
Just need a HD DVD burner and one could burn it to a disk to re edit later on.

It really is rock solid and just works all the time.

Ted Ramasola November 6th, 2006 08:47 AM

Projected wmv file from procoder in a movie theater

In connection with my first post, from the nested sequences on the timeline I used procoder to export to WMV HD at 1280x720 24P. the 8 min video came out at around 250mb in wmv file. We then used a PC server and projected it onto a movie theater's wide screen using an in-focus DLP projector.

we compared it with an m2p file converted to a SD dvd.

I would say that 24p played well when the source was also 24p and the wmv hd generated by procoder express, built in edius 4 produced a clean well saturated image with rich blacks and controlled highlights.

The dvd file crumbled.

the wmv hd file as a delivery format for HD is, in my opinion a, a very good contender if only more 3rd party developers support this and not just sonic.

Dennis Sladek November 7th, 2006 12:01 AM

As Andrew asked,
"By the way, are you using Edius 4 Pro or Broadcast?"

Ted Ramasola November 7th, 2006 12:51 AM

Im using Broadcast, but im not using its capability as such.
I only neaded its ability to handle the HD100 720 24p footage. Broadcast edius has the added ability to handle XDcam, P2, HDCAM and others.