Which graphics card? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Which graphics card?

I'm looking to build a new PC machine and need advice on a graphics card. I'll be using Edius Broadcat 4 and will mainly editing HDV footage from a sony Z1 and Canon XL H1. I'll be producing HD output to external hard disk for delivery.

Can't afford the top FX cards. Overwhelmed by the number of options out there. NVidia or ATX? etc.
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:43 AM   #2
Major Player

ATI Radeon 1950X Pro is what several knowledgeable folks who've recently built NX monster machines have used and are happy with the results.
John Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Trustee

I second John's suggestion.
ATI Radeon cards.
Followed by nvidia.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Why do the FX cards cost so much? What's so special about them compared to more mass produced gaming cards?
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #5
Trustee

the chips and memory type make em expensive.
BUT you dont really need the high end ones. just get those with at least 128mb of ram or 256 if you have a dual monitor set up. make sure you get the DDR2 type of ram for the GPU.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:03 AM   #6
RED / Scarlet / DVXUser

EDIUS, like most NLE's isn't going to take advantage of the Graphics card for most editing processes. If you are applying 3d transitions and things like that, then yes, it will make a difference. But, for pretty much everything else, real-time performance won't be affected by a better, or worse, graphics card.

Concerning HDV, I could be wrong, and maybe the graphics card plays a role, but I don't think so.

The place where you will want a good graphics card is if you are doing a lot of 3d work, or special fx, etc. in programs like After Effects, and so on. Those programs will use the heck out of your graphic card. And render times will be highly effected by your graphics card.

Otherwise, don't sweat the graphics card too much. Just get one with dual monitor outputs. Focus more on a good dual core processor, ram, and HDD space, etc.

For the record, I have a less than stellar graphics card in my laptop. I edit dvcpro HD footage on it. I can have 5, 6 streams, whatever on the timeline, have transistions, color correction, old movie fx, 3d pip, and so on. All of it has been real-time editing.

The only time it isn't is when I apply a 3d transition, or use some of the xplode effects/transitions. But, most of that is stuff I wouldn't use anyways, and even then, it is just a 5 second render, or whatever.

Later,
Jason
Jason Ramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm currently having a new Edius system being built by GuyGraphics in Utah, their using the nVidia 8800 card. Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE