Edit in HD or SD mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 13th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Edit in HD or SD mode

Hi Guys. I have looked over the forums. I have edius 4.0. I have shot footage in 720 30p on a jvc 111 and will probably export to 480 30p for dvd playback. Question is, do I edit in 720p timeline or 480p. The end result will be standard def anyways. Edius gives such easy access to switch between, will it make any difference to quality if I edit in sd and then go to hd to export from.Thanks in adavance guys, great having a canopus forum.
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Trustee

Rob,
Thats true, edius is easy to shift between settings. Just a word of caution if you do a lot of titles within edius, if you use title motion or quick titler, in my experience, i was editing in HD then changed settings to SD, the fonts didnt proportionaly change.

I hope that is not true in your case, you might end up with mis aligned fonts in your final dvd.

Ted
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Ted

I will keep that in mind. Do you export your project in sd mode if you are sending back to dvd for sd playback, I have heard that exporting from hd mode to create a sd dvd creates lots of artifacts through PCE. What's your experience with quality etc.
Thanks
Old March 13th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #4
Trustee

I didnt experience artifacts with my workflow rob,

I export to m2p using procoder express then i author in encore.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Ted. There is oner thing that still confuses me though, can I edit in sd for a hd project and vise versa, does this not affect the project quality at all. I have heard mixed reports.
Old March 13th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #6
Trustee

No it doesnt, this is a convenient feature which i miss in the new premier. they had this back in the prem 4.2 version and lower. This feature in canopus allows me to view hd project via my old storm card to an SD monitor for color correction ONLY. My workflow when i have an HD material is I edit on HD timeline, export an AVI HQ master for archive and downrezzing and another WMV HD for PC playback onto DLP or LCD projectors and if there is a dvd requirement, I take the AVI HQ master and export it to M2P using procoder for authoring.
I avoid changing the setting of the HD timeline to SD for final export to dvd because i experienced some titles and overlay graphics dont resize proportionally.
I consolidate the project in HD. For future use.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE