DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Building an Edius System (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/89597-building-edius-system.html)

Mike DelliSanti March 22nd, 2007 11:46 AM

Building an Edius System

Hi. I went to a demo yesterday and loved it ! But now I have the option of buying a turnkey system or building it myself. The delimma is warranty vs no warranty. On one hand if I buy a turnkey it'll come with a warranty but on the other hand if i build it, i could save money but sacrifice a warranty. I guess i'll have to weigh the pros and cons before i jump in. I would like to prepare for the future ie"
64 bit programs and quad core technology. I was told for right now a single dual core is good enough. Any suggestions would be helpful.What has worked for you?
Thanks.
Mike Delli Santi

Peter Jefferson March 22nd, 2007 05:02 PM

youll always have warranty on the components, irrespecitve of whether you built it or not, however the turnkey system may be a "global" warranty where they also suppot the "build" of the machine..
best to ensure what they refer to as warranty

Also, for system specs, id strongly suggest you check Canopus site and think about whether your going softwre only or wanting to go for the NX/SP later on

Gary J. Walker March 22nd, 2007 07:05 PM

Gary Walker

Just had my first edius system built for me by GuyGraphics in Utah. Very happy with their workmanship etc.

Mike DelliSanti March 22nd, 2007 08:01 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. They don't post much info about compatible systems or mobos or graphics cards etc.so it;s hard to know what will work and what won't and the boards will only give you a bit more of real time performance, they're mainly for ingest. The sales rep did reccommend guy graphics, I'm glad to hear from a satisfied customer. Well I did the math and can save about $1,200 by building it myself, is it worth it? I don't know,I'm not an expert but I can do it and if I get stuck then I can call upon a friend that IS an expert, but I don't want to do that if I can help it. This is my livelyhood and want a stable system that I can depend on and get support if needed. We'll see.

Peter Jefferson March 29th, 2007 06:26 PM

well 1200bux is about the cost of an NX card... is it worth it to YOU?

Mike DelliSanti March 30th, 2007 06:50 AM

I don't absolutely have to have it right now, but when my industry catches up (live events) then, yea I'll definitely get it. I'm on my last job with my old system before i put it on e-Bay.

Mike Downey April 3rd, 2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike DelliSanti (Post 646456)
Thanks for the reply guys. They don't post much info about compatible systems or mobos or graphics cards etc.so it;s hard to know what will work and what won't and the boards will only give you a bit more of real time performance, they're mainly for ingest. The sales rep did reccommend guy graphics, I'm glad to hear from a satisfied customer. Well I did the math and can save about $1,200 by building it myself, is it worth it? I don't know,I'm not an expert but I can do it and if I get stuck then I can call upon a friend that IS an expert, but I don't want to do that if I can help it. This is my livelyhood and want a stable system that I can depend on and get support if needed. We'll see.

If you are not an expert it is not worth building it yourself.

GuyGraphics that was mentioned earlier not only knows how to build them but is one of the best builders out there of any video editing system.

I would give them a call.

Mike DelliSanti April 8th, 2007 10:01 AM

Thanks Mike. I plan on calling Guy Graphics within the next week or so.Great demo BTW!

Mike Downey April 8th, 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike DelliSanti (Post 656163)
Thanks Mike. I plan on calling Guy Graphics within the next week or so.Great demo BTW!

Thank you for your kind words... It is easy to give a good demo when the folks that are watching are having a good time! :)

Mike