DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Grass Valley / Canopus NLE (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/)
-   -   Recommendations for new Edius NX system (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/grass-valley-canopus-nle/90967-recommendations-new-edius-nx-system.html)

Lee Thomas April 7th, 2007 05:47 PM

Recommendations for new Edius NX system

I'm thinking about making the move to HDV and will need to upgrade my computer. I will be using the Edius NX card. I currently use an off-the-shelf Gateway Pent D 820 2.8 Ghz machine to edit DV. For SD DV, this computer rocks. I'm looking to be able to do the same things I do now, only in HDV. Any ideas what type of system I should go for to be comparable to my current one, only to be able to edit HDV? A loaded question, I'm sure...

If a Core 2 Duo, should I look at an E6600 or 6700? Or would I be better off going with a dual core Xeon 5130? I'm concerned with performance but also want to keep the cost down as much as possible, as there's cameras to think about as well. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do occasional p-in-p (though not that often), some slo-mo, and maybe a filter or two per clip (color correct, etc.). Nothing too outrageous. I shoot weddings so need to edit 2-3 cams for ceremonys. Thanks!

Ted Ramasola April 7th, 2007 11:25 PM

Lee,

I was in your boat a while back while still in SD. I was using P4 3.4ghz HT. Upon migrating to HDV however, it wasn't enough. I am currently using a Core 2 duo and so far, for 720P work its stable and does the work, its value for money. Just make sure you have Lots of ram and a good graphics card with dedicated DDR2 ram of at least 256mb.

Happy easter,

Ted

Lee Thomas April 8th, 2007 08:34 AM

Ted,

Just wondering what Core 2 Duo you are using... 6400,6600,6700, 6800...? Also, do you have to do much rendering or is most of your work realtime?

Thanks,

Lee

Ted Ramasola April 8th, 2007 01:22 PM

Lee,

im using 6600, real time in almost all situations even with nested sequences.

Ted

Lee Thomas April 11th, 2007 10:03 AM

Anyone else...? Dual Xeon or dual core...???

Scott Vystrcil April 11th, 2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Thomas (Post 658268)

I would go Dual Xeon if you can aford it.

Mike Downey April 11th, 2007 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Thomas (Post 658268)

For the future I would consider the Dual Xeon Dual or Quadcore Cpu's. They will not be fully utilized as of this moment but hopefully in the near future they will :)

Mike

John Richard April 12th, 2007 08:35 AM

Mike - do you know if 4.5 beta being shown at NAB was written to take advantage of the Quad Cores?

Mike Downey April 12th, 2007 09:06 AM

I could be completely wrong but I do not believe it does. 4.5 is more of a GrassValley integration and not a Major release.

The Ability for Edius to work seemlessly with other GrassValley products as well as working with the codecs needed.

There are and will be bug fixes and the GUI has a whole new look but it still functions the same :)

I will find out for sure though and lt you know.

Mike

Rajiv Attingal April 14th, 2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Downey (Post 658875)
I could be completely wrong but I do not believe it does. 4.5 is more of a GrassValley integration and not a Major release.

The Ability for Edius to work seemlessly with other GrassValley products as well as working with the codecs needed.

There are and will be bug fixes and the GUI has a whole new look but it still functions the same :)

I will find out for sure though and lt you know.

Mike

Does this mean integration of j2k ( jpeg 2000 ) and support
for the infinity line of products?. Can Edius 4.5 edit j2k in real time?.

Mike Downey April 14th, 2007 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal (Post 660020)

I will finding out today :)

Kevin Shaw April 14th, 2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Thomas (Post 655920)
I do occasional p-in-p (though not that often), some slo-mo, and maybe a filter or two per clip (color correct, etc.). Nothing too outrageous. I shoot weddings so need to edit 2-3 cams for ceremonys. Thanks!

My editing needs are similar to yours and I'm currently doing okay using Edius on a Core 2 Duo laptop with the T7400 processor, 2 GB RAM and a 256 MB video card. This setup stutters sometimes when running everything off the internal hard drive or an external USB2 drive, but it's functional. Using a better external drive solution like eSATA might help.

Mike Downey April 17th, 2007 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajiv Attingal (Post 660020)

Yes. J2K is supported. It is a heavy format so editing in it is not easy but native support is in 4.5

Ivan Snoeckx May 14th, 2007 07:28 AM

Is the HP xw8400 certified for EDIUS NX Express?

John Richard May 15th, 2007 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan Snoeckx (Post 678827)
Is the HP xw8400 certified for EDIUS NX Express?

I believe at the GV booth at NAB this year, this machine was what most of the demos were being run on. Maybe Mike can chime in here as he was the main ring leader for the demos.