What file format when exporting... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old April 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What file format when exporting...

Video shot with a canon XH A-1 camera, editing is smooth, I just bought Roxio Creator suite 9, (till I decide what HD program to buy) after trying many different export streams from Edius, when DVD is burned in Roxio, video has jaggies, and artifax on moving images...please help, Gary....
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Jolly Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J. Walker View Post
Video shot with a canon XH A-1 camera, editing is smooth, I just bought Roxio Creator suite 9, (till I decide what HD program to buy) after trying many different export streams from Edius, when DVD is burned in Roxio, video has jaggies, and artifax on moving images...please help, Gary....
Do me a favor... play the file in windows before going into Roxio. How does it look?

It could be that Roxio is re-encoding the file causing the bad video

Mike
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Will do Mike, any Idea what to use, 'Lossesss," Canopus HQ, HD, their's so many options....I know you'r very busy in Vegas, thanks for the response. Gary
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Jolly Mon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J. Walker View Post
Will do Mike, any Idea what to use, 'Lossesss," Canopus HQ, HD, their's so many options....I know you'r very busy in Vegas, thanks for the response. Gary

Try Mpeg2. :)
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Mike, Mpeg2 produces the same poor results, The Canopus HQ format playes fine in Windows media player, but when viewed in Roxio I can see the jaggies, and after burning the same...I'm going to "print to tape" (back to my canon in HDV mode) then firewire the footage straight into roxio capture...and then encode, and burn,,I'll let you know.Gary,,Thanks again Mike, I'll get back in touch.
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Gary, are you encoding from the Edius timeline to mpeg2? There is a known issue with how Edius hands off a frame to Procoder Express that happens when you are exporting from an Edius HDV project to mpeg 2. It is being worked on. To see if this is the issue change the project setting to a 16:9 D1 or DV setting and encode it from there. Be aware that any position dependent effects like titles need to be tweaked to fit when you change to the SD setting. Another workaround is to export the HDV project setting timeline to an HQ(1440x1080) file and use PCE standalone to encode that file to mpeg2.
Randy Donato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Randy, glad your listening, funny I'm working on various exports as you were sending your post. I'll report back. One other thing I've notice, for say a 3 sec. page peel or any other transition, for it to play back smoothly I must have my projects "output format" set at "Full HD 1080/59.94...If I set it to HDV 1080/29.97 over 59.94i it has a slight studder..What should my project settings be, of course I what the best quality video/transitions etc...(I've burned several thousand DVD's from Rex-edit to DVD studio Pro over the last seven yrs..just want to stay PC for now...Thanks all, Gary..
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Ditto what Randy said: Edius has a known problem encoding directly from HD projects to SD MPEG2 output. There are two basic solutions to this: one is to change the project setting to widescreen DV and check your titles and transitions before exporting; the other is to render out to Canopus HQ or HDV first and then import that file into a widescreen DV project and re-encode to SD. If you use the latter method you'll end up with both HD and SD output files and won't have to check placement of titles, but this approach is time-consuming.

Let us know what you finally decide to do about this and how well it works out.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be trying your tips today and let you know, (I have some beautiful coasters for sale FYI)....Gary
Gary J. Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE