Reducing Edge Tearing and/or Moire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Reducing Edge Tearing and/or Moire

I recently picked up the new Panny HPX2000 - it's the new native HD chipset 2/3" cam that records to P2 - SD, 720HD & 1080HD. This camera takes beautiful HD images - I'm noticing some edge 'warbling' and almost edge tearing (1080 60i pans/pulls - house siding, fencing, car grills, etc - detail moire?) when playing the native HD footage/downconverting to 4x3 SD in Edius. Seems like I may need to pull the detail out a little in the settings or change coring (something that I didn't notice as much when downconverting H1/Z1 footage).

Perhaps that's the nature of the beast when downconverting source with so much detail, or depending on what monitors you're playing it back on, but again, I don't remember it with other HDV images being downconverted the same way. It seems to follow into SD DVD's as well, when you export into Procoder2 from the timeline.

The same footage in HD (full HD 1920x1080i or DVCPROHD 1080 (1280x1080i) looks incredible - no noticable moire/tearing as when it's downconverted.

Any suggestions? I'd like to shoot everything HD now, building a library - and downconverting for current clients with the option to get Blu-Ray copies if/when they can utilize them.

Tried some antiflicker, and tried changing some of the Horizontal/Vertical & Master Detail in the camera - also coring - but that's softening the image as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BTW - Canopus SP system - been great for everything thrown at it so far.
Shawn Alyasiri is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE