advice about capture... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Tourist

advice about capture...

Hi!
I'm currently building a new NLE system and have a quick question...
For the last 5 years, we've been running Premire 6.0 on a PC NLE system using the DV Raptor RT2 and the ADVC-100 converter and have overall had great success...producing a feature film, commercials, shorts and all sorts of stuff for broadcast and theatrical projection.

Now, of course it's long past time to upgrade...
We're thinking of finally doing the move to Premiere Pro CS 2 or even 3, but want to stick with Canopus for the capture because it's worked well for us.

My question is this...
For our budget, we are looking at the Canopus ACEDV io capture card as well as the Canopus ADVC 300 converter. I've always believed that it is better to have the hardware, but is this true? Could I JUST have the ADVC 300 converter into a firewire and have comparable quality? Should I get both or will the ACEDV io do everything I need? (we do a LOT of analog to digital converting for our film festival). Are there incompatibilty issues I should know about with either?

I guess the bottom line is this...I want a new, more powerful syatem to be as dependable and friendly as my old one...
Any advice is truly appreciated...thanks!
Christy Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #2
Trustee

If the ADVC-100 does what you need I don't think you need the ADVC-300.

I have the ADVC-300, and it does a good job, and I've converted a couple hundred hours of training videos to DVD using it, but I have always had a slight synch problem and have had to manually re-synch the audio and video a few frames. I don't think this issue exists with the ADVC-100.

Unless I misunderstand, you have clean video and are converting it to DV. I don't see a reason to change from the ADVC-100.

Apparently you are doing SD only. However, it might it be worth taking a look at Edius 4 NX if you are building a new system. I think Edius 4, Procoder and other Canopus products are rock solid for systemized work as you indicate you are doing.

However, I also have CS2 studio for the other programs, though I don't use Premiere, except sometimes when collaborating with people who do.

Perhaps if you are more specific and detailed on your workflow, Mike Downey or one of the Canopus experts can give you some specific comments on which products would best suit your needs.

Also, what is your budget, and what does that have to cover?
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks, Jack...

if there aren't any compatibility issues, I don't mind continuing to use the ADVC 100...we have never had any sync issues luckily, so I'm not unhappy with it...I'm just ready to upgrade the overall system.
I was under the impression that there were some capatibility issues with the older Canopus stuff and some of the newer versions of Premiere, so basically I guess I just want to make sure to avoid these.

I'm really leaning toward getting the ACEDV io capture card and am mostly curious if there are any known compatibility issues and if it will do all I need analog and digital. I'm still a little unclear though if it will do all I need or if I need a converter also. Will the card freak out if I have other fire wire ports? Will it go out to my TV easily? I understand the ACEDV io AND the ADVC300 both do some analog clean-up...is it the same or do they compliment each other?

and a quick run-down on what I'm primarily doing...
We are currently doing another feature length DV film project and we also show a lot of shorts, strange clips and fun re-edited PD films at our film festival (lots of which comes from crappy old analog video)...we project digitally to a screen over 20 feet tall, so we do need as decent a picture as possible for digital AND analog converted stuff.

As for budget, I can afford both the ACEDVio and ADVC300 (or something comperable), but that'll be about it for the capture aspect...

thanks again for ANY help...I'm ready to get the system going ASAP, but found last time we built one, that advice from other users was invaluable!
Christy Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Here is a thread that talks a little about the competing products:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/155169

It looks like the ACEDvio would be your best best, then if you are doing bad quality tapes, invest in a TBC or time based corrector. The ADVC300 has one built in, but is is only line-based and does not help on real bad videos.

Here is one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nnel_Time.html
Or search for "time base corrector" on B&H for all the options.

All the Canopus analog to digital converters use the same chip, including the high end one that takes component in. I think you only need one of them.

The ACEDvio has correction capabilities. However, a Proc Amp does the same thing such as this one from Sign Video:
http://www.signvideo.com/single_dual...-processor.htm
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #5
Tourist

thanks again for the help, Jack!
Christy Savage is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE