ADVC-110 Audio Playback/Preview Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Grass Valley / Canopus NLE
All flavors of Edius; other Grass Valley / Canopus software & hardware.

Old March 30th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

canopus advc 100 or dazzle hollywood

Kinda newby to PC editing. I want to watch playback in Premiere 6.5 through my Sony production monitor and need a DV converter (dont want to use my camera). Will the Canopus converter's codec cause any problems with Premiere or XP? What about the Dazzle. Although what I've read and heard puts Canopus as the leader.
Seth Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I use the canopus with Avid XpressDv. Rock solid
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

what about Premiere?

I know it works well with Avid, but what about using it to watch playback through a PVM-14N5U via Premiere?
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use the advc-100 with prem 6.5 and I NEVER have a glitch. The onboard codec does an absolutely wonerful job.
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2003, 07:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

playback monitor

Anybody use it to convert DV to analog. Such as watching playback on a production monitor?
Old March 30th, 2003, 08:42 PM   #6
Major Player

I use my ADVC-100 in both directions. Capture analog to digital, and then back out for recording to vhs, or watching on a monitor.
Old March 30th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #7
Major Player

By the way. . . go to forums for Dazzle and Canopus and you will see a trend. One will feature people trying to solve problem after problem, and the other with people socializing and sharing ideas. Your choice, then, should be obvious.
Old December 1st, 2003, 01:21 PM   #8
Trustee

help me decide, Canon xl1s or Canopus ADVC100

and i know you're gonna ask me what the application is. and it is this:

i already own a workstation that can edit DV. i also own a sony hi8 (TRV 65 i believe) cam. my purpose is i wanna make short movies.

as of right now, if i get the Canopus capture device i can shoot on my hi8, capture to computer then edit and burn DVD and voila, i'm done.

on the other hand, it's pretty much etched in stone that i'm gonna get the Canon xl1s, it's only a matter of time. i've been asking when as the time wears on and seeing that Canon has decided to give a $500 rebate on purchases made before 1/31/2004 i think it could be a sign from above to buy it between now and then.

so what should i do? on one hand i already have a cam that shoots comparable quality, all i need is a capture device. on the other hand if i 'upgrade' to xl1s i'll be getting less 'strange looks' from my troup of actors/actresses on my production. what would ya do?

cost isn't really an object.
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:26 PM   #9
Inner Circle

"Cost isn't really an object"

Then buy the canopus first, the xl1s second, and a dsr-11 third.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 03:37 PM   #10
Major Player

If cost isn't the object, get both! Your looking at $300 for the ADVC100 versus $3500 for the XL1s. And, if all you need is a capture device, there are many others for less than $100 (not as good as the canopus). Use the rebate to get the capture device!
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:35 PM   #11
Trustee

but ain't it redundant? if i get the xl1s i can simply dub hi8 onto the xl1s and then DV into the computer.
Old December 1st, 2003, 11:50 PM   #12
Inner Circle

You don't even need to dub onto tape, the XL1s should be able to do digital-analog passthrough and let you record DV onto the computer.

The Canopus box should handle messed up timecode better though. And it has better quality conversion (perhaps not noticeable).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Canopus Advc Bay Issue

I very interested to buy Canopus DVRaptor RT2 max with Edius 2. My concern was which is the campatible 5 -1.4” bay for my configuration ADVC-1394 bay or ADVC-50 bay? Will ADVC-1394 fix my DVraptor RT2 max Card????? or Must use ADVC-50...
Old June 6th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Ever fry a Canopus ADVC-100?

I was playing around with one this weekend and it started out fine, with only one light on (the digital in indicator) but now all three lights are permanently on and nothing seems to be getting through.

I've searched the web and the lousy support portion of the Canopus site and I can't find anything definitive.

So, has anyone else achieved this? Did you have to buy a new one?

-j
Jay Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:41 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Jay,

Sounds fried... but check first. Unplug and let sit for a minute, then replug. Check the tiny dipswitches on the bottom, make sure they are set correctly for your situation. Then press and hold the dv select button for a few seconds, see if you get bars generated.

If it still stays dead... call a priest.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Grass Valley / Canopus NLE