Visit to B&H in New York - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:56 AM   #16
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Bray View Post
Take some pics of the store inside and out. I'm kinda curious to what it looks like.
Someone who visited a while back did:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10915421

FWIW, we're expanding and the newly enlarged store is due to be unveiled mid-October. We're doubling the square footage.
Old September 5th, 2007, 11:08 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Opening up the rest of the second floor, Henry? That's great news!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #18
Trustee

Henry,

As a customer of a few years, I have to comment on something.

Your standards of integrity in dealing with your customers are probably the highest in the photo/video mail/online order industry.

Every order I have placed with B&H has been a positive experience. The one time I made an error in judgement and ordered items that did not have the full compatibility I needed, the process of shipping what I needed, return of what I'd ordered, adjusting charges and credits so the difference was paid was all handled in a friendly efficient and seamless manner. I was surprised how easy your store made it.

Every order I've made has been packed well, shipped quickly, and arrived in perfect condition.

Bottom line: I don't shop mail order or online order competition. If you have what I need and I am willing to pay the price...I order.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post
Henry,

As a customer of a few years, I have to comment on something.

Your standards of integrity in dealing with your customers are probably the highest in the photo/video mail/online order industry.

Every order I have placed with B&H has been a positive experience. The one time I made an error in judgement and ordered items that did not have the full compatibility I needed, the process of shipping what I needed, return of what I'd ordered, adjusting charges and credits so the difference was paid was all handled in a friendly efficient and seamless manner. I was surprised how easy your store made it.

Every order I've made has been packed well, shipped quickly, and arrived in perfect condition.

Bottom line: I don't shop mail order or online order competition. If you have what I need and I am willing to pay the price...I order.
Thank you. This is VERY gratifying and much appreciated.
Old September 12th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #20
New Boot

I, living in Sweden, soooo want to go there. I don't know what I really need, I just want to walk around and find out things that comes i boxes, has a small leaflet inside and cost a fortune so I can unpack and pack them at the hotelroom. Call me sick, call me a shopaholic, call me an easy target. But I almost want that as much as my gf (almost - let's not exaggerate here).
Peter Wittinghoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hey... didn't realize there was a B&H fan club here...!

I'll be in New York for the first time in my life next week. I've been putting off the trip for years and so I have a bunch of places and sights I want to see... Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park etc etc... but guess what's on top of my list?

B&H.

... guess I'm exploring my inner nerd...
Sean Kiely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #22
Major Player

ahhh!

I just checked the holiday hours for B&H - I'll be visiting New York for the first time in 10 years Sept 28th-Oct2 and also had it down on my list of sites

The store looks to be closed the entire time! What are the odds.

Any suggestions on another local equivalent? sigh

Trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

There's no such thing as an equivalent to B&H's retail space, but be sure to drop in on our other New York sponsor, Abel Cine Tech (http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/#abc) -- they have a comprehensive touch & try demo area and a very helpful staff.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #24
Regular Crew

We've just returned from New York after visiting B&H. What a great experience. The absolute best thing about the store is that everything is out on the floor. This gives you an opportunity to see cranes, steadicams, microphones, professional cameras, high end lighting, pretty much everything I had read about but had never seen apart from photos on the internet. To truly appreciate the size of these things you have to see them first hand. For instance, I had always wanted to see and have a play with a Panasonic DVX100 and a steadicam merlin, both available. There are drinks and sweets around the store which is a nice touch.

I have to say though that the store is the victim of its own success. Although it is very efficiently run, with merchandise sold being transported overhead on conveyor belts, the store was incredibly chaotic. I have never seen so many people in a store in my life. Think Christmas rush hour at its worst. This meant that although there were loads of staff around willing to help, it was difficult to spend enough time and concentration on areas. It was a truly overwhelming experience. I guarantee that if it was less congested and I hadn't felt so claustophobic and pressured, I would have bought considerably more than I did. Indeed, having left, I am kicking myself for not spending more time looking at things in more detail but the overwhelming and uncomfortable feeling was to get what I had planned and get out.

My partner hated the place. She had bought a camera from J&R (another great store) and felt that she had a personal service with great advice. However, at B&H, she asked about batteries for her camera and was advised to buy a particular one. Later, in Best Buy she found a package which included both a battery plus other accessories at a similar price. She was not too pleased. She felt B&H was like a cattle market.

Anyway, I recommend anyone paying a visit to New York to go to B&H but be prepared for huge crowds. Have a list of items you want before you visit otherwise you will stuggle. It's a shame B&H doesn't offer a more personal service.
Mark Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #25
Inner Circle

I think your experience may have been due to the time of day, and/or day of the week.

I have had a pleasent, non-rushed, experience every time I've been there.

Their sales associates never rushed me in any way.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

We visited the day after a 2 day holiday which probably explains the crowds and the rushed atmosphere. Shame really, although I definitely plan to go back. It's a wonderful place.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:31 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Since being back home my partner has gone back on the B&H website and found that B&H actually sell the accessory kit she saw in Best Buy. The accessory kit includes canon battery and camera case for $49. She was advised in the store to buy the canon battery alone at $46 and had no idea that this deal was available. I mention this, not only to underline the fact that the service was lacking but to give caution to anyone else planning to visit with their partner. I am getting grief big time !
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM   #28
Inner Circle

I do not want to be too quick to defend B&H, but before your wife gives you too much grief, please consider the following.

B&H is generally, but not always, the low price leader for quality retailers in the camcorder, camera, and audio fields (and others).

They are a quality outfit that backs what they sell.

There are not a lot of quality retailers in this business, but there are some.

Now, specifically on your accessory kit, there are many accessory kits out there for popular cameras. If it was the same exact kit, with the same exact Canon brand battery, in the same capacity, with the same exact camera case, then Best Buy probably had a good deal.

However, if the battery was a battery that fit a Canon camera, but not the Canon brand, or a different capacity, then the price may be much less.

If you found a better price on the same item elsewhere, then consider it.

Canon likes for you to use their own brand batteries. This is probably due to the fact that batteries are profitable items. Also, it is due to safety. A poorly designed lithium-ion battery, one with out the proper and required built-in safety features can be dangerous. For serious reading and an education on this point, search for Battery University.

One more item to consider before your wife gets too upset. It is generally recognized that B&H is the leading place to buy professional gear. Their prices, service and support policies have gone into making their reputation. B&H is not always the lowest price on all merchandise.

There are other great retailers in this field, including other DVInfo.net sponsors, but none are as large as B&H.

Is B&H perfect? No, but they do have a great reputation, one which has been well earned over the years.
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howells View Post
Since being back home my partner has gone back on the B&H website and found that B&H actually sell the accessory kit she saw in Best Buy. The accessory kit includes canon battery and camera case for $49. She was advised in the store to buy the canon battery alone at $46 and had no idea that this deal was available. I mention this, not only to underline the fact that the service was lacking but to give caution to anyone else planning to visit with their partner. I am getting grief big time !
Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately Sept-Oct is prime-time for Jewish holidays and shortened work-weeks and the result is we're busier than usual when we are open. It can be as busy as the pre-Christmas rush we all know and love. :-)

If you can email me with your partner's transaction number and the kit she wasn't offered I can review this with the sales associate and sales manager. I'm not sure I can fix this for her, but hopefully I can for the next couple.

BTW, before the end of the year, we're opening the 2nd floor and will double the retail store space. That, coupled with wider aisles and more sales associates, should make it less pressing.
Old October 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #30
Inner Circle

"There's two kinds of problems in business... growth problems and liquidation problems. And you'd rather have GROWTH problems!"

Congrats on the expansion
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors