Any kits worth the purchase - B&H photo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old October 15th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Any kits worth the purchase - B&H photo

I'm looking at purchasing an A-1 through B & H photo. About the only accessory I know I would use right away is the wide angle .7 lens.

Do any of those kits look like a bargain? I'm seeing one for around $3,999 that includes lens, bag and additional battery.

Thoughts?

Tx
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm assuming this combo is what you were leaning towards

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Camcorder.html

If you're sure you need the lens, the package includes a battery, a bag, and also comes with the extended 4 year warranty which is handy.

I think most people purchase a second battery and you will definitely need a bag. I don't know anything about the impact brand for bags though.

You'll also want to get a UV haze filter protector for the lens.

I'd add up each additional item on the site as they are sold separately and see what actual savings you are getting and decide then.

and I might add - you're getting a bargain anyway you slice it by Canadian standards.

I see this was moved from the A1 section - seems like it might make more sense staying in the A1 section as those are the people that have purchased the camera and should have a good idea about accessories related to it.

trish
Trish Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Trish,

Thanks for the thoughts. I put this in the A-1 section for the very reason you mentioned.

I had forgotten about a UV haze filter.

Tx again for taking your time.

Re: Canadian Stds.

From what I'm seeing on the news, the Canadian dollar is gaining on the U.S. dollar...hasn't helped the rate of exchange for Canadians yet?

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Major Player

The dollar is actually at par now I believe.

A new canon a1 in Canada still goes for around 4500. No extras on that either.

Also, you're going to need some kind of tripod and or monopod to get you started as well. Then you'll want a merlin like everyone else : )

And for your wide angle - I'm not sure if you'd need to purchase a protector on that glass as well - I'd ask others in the A1 section that have the wide angle if they have one.

And don't go too cheap on the UV filter. I know there are a few threads in the A1 section on which to get - I have the B+W one.

trish
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Kerr View Post
Also, you're going to need some kind of tripod and or monopod to get you started as well. Then you'll want a merlin like everyone else : )
trish
The merlin still gives me nightmares. Should or should I not get one?
Maksim Yankovskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm close to buying one - once I get it and try it out I'll be able to give a true opinion. It seems that most people that have purchased it like it.

I know one local store owner that still isn't convinced about it and doesn't carry it in stock for that reason.

Trish
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks again.

I'll check the Merlin out.

Rog Lee
Roger Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors