DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   New Century 4x4 Filters - Do you use Filters? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/109240-new-century-4x4-filters-do-you-use-filters.html)

Ryan Avery November 30th, 2007 08:23 PM

New Century 4x4 Filters - Do you use Filters?

Scneider Optics recently announced our new line of Century 4x4 Filters. These are meant for HDV/DV use to enhance your images in ways that you can't or shouldn't do in post production. It is accompanied by an excellent DVD that explains the use of each type of filter in the kit for new folks and shows the differences between actual post altered shots and in camera filteration. These filters are made from the same top quality water white Schott glass and manufactured to the same quality spec of the more expensive and popular Schneider filters. For the price of lesser filters you can a get true top quality product. Fits in any standard 4x4 Matte Box. Check it out and be sure to view the pdf brochure on the webpage.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecomm....aspx?CID=1431

Also, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on in camera filtration for DV/HDV and how you are using your filters currently. Any thoughts or questions on our new product is always appreciated.

I will gladly mail the instructional DVD to anyone interested in viewing it. Please email me a request for the DVD with your name and address.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

David W. Jones December 3rd, 2007 08:33 AM

Are these multi-coated like my Schneider filter set?
I see they are about half the cost of my normal Schneider 4x4 filters.

Ryan Avery December 4th, 2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David W. Jones (Post 786366)
Are these multi-coated like my Schneider filter set?
I see they are about half the cost of my normal Schneider 4x4 filters.

Yes, they are hard coated. They do not feature the edge seal like our standard Schneider filters but are the same in every other way.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Brian Jansen January 4th, 2008 01:57 PM

Has anyone tried these?
Also wondering if they have 4x5.65 filters too.
I emailed Ryan several times but no reply.
I need a few filters for some scenic coastal shots and have been
checking into Tiffen and Cavision as well.

Ryan Avery January 4th, 2008 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jansen (Post 802650)
Has anyone tried these?
Also wondering if they have 4x5.65 filters too.
I emailed Ryan several times but no reply.
I need a few filters for some scenic coastal shots and have been
checking into Tiffen and Cavision as well.

Brian,

Sorry I missed your emails. I have a really powerful junk filter and some get missed. We make 4x5.65 but they are under the Schneider brand and therefore higher priced. We just rolled these 4x4's out a few months ago but ask anyone about Schneider filters and they will tell you how well they are made. The quality is the same on these as the regular Schneider filters except they aren't edge sealed.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics

Brian Jansen January 5th, 2008 02:54 PM

Ryan,

Can you tell me what dealers are carry these? It's so hard to choose without "seeing" and comparing the quality to others. Especially hard when the prices vary by almost 100% in some cases.
When you say the only difference is the no finished edges, how does that affect the filter? Maybe more chance of breakage than the more expensive filters?
Thanks for posting.

Ryan Avery January 8th, 2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jansen (Post 803221)
Ryan,

Can you tell me what dealers are carry these? It's so hard to choose without "seeing" and comparing the quality to others. Especially hard when the prices vary by almost 100% in some cases.
When you say the only difference is the no finished edges, how does that affect the filter? Maybe more chance of breakage than the more expensive filters?
Thanks for posting.

Abel Cine Tech in NY is the only dealer in your area (not really) that I am aware of that carries this filter. I cannot mention other dealers in this thread but they are few. The reason for this is that this kit was just introduced. Any good dealer will let you look at the kit as we offer a 30 day return policy to all customers for items returned in same condition as shipped.

The edge sealing is made on standard Schneider filters for two reasons. One, Schneider filters are made for the most demanding environments (Hollywood Rental Houses) and therefore the edge sealing prevents the incidence of chipping. While this is a minor problem that usually only comes up in heavy use environments, it does give that extra margin of safety. Chipping is also something that is inherent to all filters with or without edge sealing as they are still made of glass at the end of the day. Two, edge sealing can prevent delamination of the filter in high heat environments. Either way we warranty our filters and are very reasonable in the rare incidences of delamination.

These filters are intended for low to moderate use by ameture to semi-pro HDV shooters. They certainly can be used by working professionals on a daily basis but we offer the Schneider versions for those situations. All are warrantied and we guarantee thier quality.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics