DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   Can't buy camcorder on-line from B&H. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/18126-cant-buy-camcorder-line-b-h.html)

Robert Allison December 9th, 2003 03:47 AM

Can't buy camcorder on-line.

Hi! Everyone, I have been reading your forums for many months now and got a lot of useful information so I was hoping someone from B & H Photo or anyone else, could help me out. I have been trying to purchase a camcorder and a camera for about a month now with no success. My problem is I cannot order online because my phone number is in Tijuana, Mexico where I reside, and my bank account is in San Diego CA. Every time I place an order online they tell me that they cannot verify my phone and address so they cancel my order. I can’t even find a store to buy a Sony DCR VX2000 where I live. I even tried B&H Photo because I see how highly recommended they are, but the online order form will not accept my telephone number, so I sent them several emails, asking how I could pay (credit card, check, money order) but nobody will give me a answer. So as you can see I am in a bad situation as I have tried everything. Does anyone have any ideas or if anyone from B&H Photo reads this can you please help me, I can even pay cash.
Than You

Frank Granovski December 9th, 2003 03:54 AM

Why not just send them a M.O.? Works for me.

Jeff Donald December 9th, 2003 06:25 AM

Get a relative or friend in the US to help.

Chris Hurd December 9th, 2003 11:17 AM

Robert -- sounds like you should call B&H directly at (800) 947-8002.

Robert Allison December 9th, 2003 01:34 PM

I will try and call them again, Thanks

Ken Tanaka December 9th, 2003 05:34 PM

This is apparently not uncommon. I know that my colleague, John Locke, has reported the same troubles. He lives in Tokyo but his credit card is issued by a U.S. bank. B&H -does- sell to him but I think it took a phone call to set-up.

Henry Posner December 10th, 2003 04:02 PM

Send me an e-mail <henryp@bhphotovideo.com> with the details and I'll see what's what.

John Locke December 10th, 2003 07:17 PM

Looks like you're being taken care of, Robert.

As Ken says, I'm in the same boat. I have a U.S. bank, and U.S. credit card, but my account holder address is Tokyo. This just doesn't match with most online registration/purchase forms and I'll get an error every time.

The people at B&H were very helpful, though, and once I sent in some additional info to set up an account, it's no problem at all ordering, although I do have to telephone them to place an order. I can't remember exactly why I can't use their online form since I've gotten in the habit of calling, but I think it had something to do with "form validation" code that requires certain things to be input in the form and in a particular format.

Can't tell you how many times I've filled in a whole form, only to be faced with a required "Now enter your state" and the only selections are U.S. states... no "Outside U.S" option. Either that, or finding out that I can't enter a foreign phone number since the format isn't the same. And if I try to shuffle it around to make it fit the format, I'll sometimes get an error "Area code does not exist".

Or here in Japan, I'll fill in my info to order, but when I enter a credit card from a U.S. bank, it gets rejected (and never mind trying to get a Japanese credit card).

Aaargh.

Living outside that little line that surrounds the U.S. is sometimes difficult...but possible with a little extra effort.

Ari Shomair June 14th, 2004 10:50 PM

When your out of US or Canada you need to fax in a copy of your credit card to have an order processed - it says this on their website.