DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   bad website mistake (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/239925-bad-website-mistake.html)

Paul Mailath July 28th, 2009 05:17 PM

bad website mistake

I'm not sure what to do about this

I've been wanting a particular kit for a while now and I while looking on the website of a DVInfo sponsor, I found a version of the kit for $1,000 cheaper than the normal price (on the same website, on the same page) I checked the details and everything was there - so I ordered one (special order). After I ordered I wrote to the company and got confirmation that all the parts were included

When it came it was not the full kit - I emailed & rang and was told:

"Unfortunately, this is an error on our website. We checked with the
manufacturer and it's not included."

That email came with a generous offer of a discount & free shipping but I simply couldn't afford the extra money.

The company has now changed their website to the correct details. But I'm feeling rather isolated.

How far would you guy's push this?

Adam Gold July 28th, 2009 07:50 PM

I think they're obligated to send you what you ordered at the price offered. I'm not saying they're dishonest but what they said about the "error" is something many bait-and-switchers do. If they don't honor what they said they'd sell you, you should report them to whatever the governing authority is, and absolutely let others know about what they did.

Obviously they can flat-out refuse, in which case the best you may be able to get is a full refund and they pay the return shipping. Wherever the fault is, it's not with you.

David Barnett July 29th, 2009 10:20 AM

I'd push it pretty far. You should do so early & often. As Adam said go for what was advertised. If tehy can't/won't, DEFINITELY get 100% refund & move on from it.

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2009 10:32 AM

In my opinion, you're entitled to a 100% refund. I also believe that you are *not* entitled to capitalize on their mistake... there is simply no justification for that (imagine, for example, if the situation was reversed). The fair thing for both parties -- you and the dealer -- is to undo the transaction. Ship the product back, and get your money back. The dealer should eat the shipping costs both ways and dispense with any re-stocking fee (and that's penance enough for a typographical error).

Since it was a DV Info Net sponsor, we'll assume that it was an honest mistake (I screen all of them myself, and have walked away from who knows how much money in advertising by turning down a number of them that didn't fit my very stringent criteria for getting on this site). As I have in the past, I will be happy to mediate this process, so Paul, please contact me by email (chris at dvinfo dot net) and I will assist you and advocate your full refund and whatever else I can do.

Also, these matters are always best pursued offline. I'll re-open this thread based on what transpires next in getting this situation rectified.

Chris Hurd July 29th, 2009 10:41 AM

Also Paul, I just tried to send you an email using the address that
you have on file here, but it bounced back as undeliverable:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

paul at justshorts dot info

Technical details of permanent failure:
DNS Error: Domain name not found

Please contact me immediately, chris at dvinfo dot net

Paul Mailath August 3rd, 2009 03:11 PM

sorry for the delay to anyone interested in this - I stuffed up my email.

Update – the problem has been resolved, it was never really a ‘bait & switch’ - simply an error in description. About the same time as I was posting on DVinfo, the company was emailing me to resolve the issue.

The company did make a generous offer to supply the necessary parts but I declined for a number of reasons and they have now compensated me another way for the ‘aggravation’. I’m sure they’ll be paying more attention so this doesn’t happen again.

Anyway – I’ve got the gear I wanted so I’m a happy old chappie and I’m going out to play….

Jeff Harper December 28th, 2010 10:35 AM

Paul, you are to be commended for not using the retailer's name and for handling the situation as you did, giving them the benefit of the doubt rather than dragging them through the mud. You gave it time and it resolved itself. Well done.

John Nantz January 25th, 2011 12:55 PM

and Kudos to Chris Hurd for...

... being pro-active and willing to jump in to mediate the problem

It's good that we found out it was an advertising error and not one of those fairly typical ads that some on-line companies use to cheat with. I've been burned a number of times over the years and each time I think I've got all the bases covered and there is a full and complete understanding of what I'm going to get with the money and .... there is some other problem that comes up that I hadn't thought of.

Grey market: don't want that stuff.

What's in the box: This helps because I've ordered something, say a camera, and it comes without some of the items. "Well, the ad said a camera, it didn't say with lens cover, etc." This isn't exactly the situation but you get the idea.

Shipping: another problem area. "We quoted on the wrong weight" tracking is extra, etc.

I'm dealing with a Costco order problem right now and having difficulties. It's one that took hours to assemble and it doesn't work right. This is the second item I bought and the first one worked fine. The manufacturers importer (it all comes from China) doesn't understand and to ship it back would require several hours to disassemble it. Arrrghh...

Again, thanks Chris for volunteering to step in!