DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/)
-   -   Canadians, buying from B&H - Warranty? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/great-deals-dv-info-net-sponsors/37597-canadians-buying-b-h-warranty.html)

Jeff Toogood January 10th, 2005 03:02 PM

Canadians, buying from B&H - Warranty?

I am considering buying a PD-170/DSR-250 from B&H and having it shipped to Canada.
I talked to Sony Canada and they tell me that they will not honour the warranty on anything that is not bought from an authorized Sony Canada Dealer.
Has anybody done this? Is there indeed a problem with the warranty?
It is considerably cheaper to get a DSR-250 in the USA then canada ($4299 vs. $7999)
But I would hate to spend that kind of money and have no warranty.

Thanks

Dylan Couper January 10th, 2005 04:39 PM

I think you'd have to ship it back to the US for the warrenty, wouldn't you?

Glenn Chan January 10th, 2005 07:58 PM

Some manufacturers have international warranties on their items, others do not. I suppose you can also try calling B&H?

2- You have to pay a $5 handling fee plus PST/GST/HST (*in exact change*) when the item gets to Canada if shipping USPS. Fedex is like that too.

UPS Ground will charge brokerage fees on top of the fees mentioned aboved- it's like daylight robbery. Ship UPS expedited or USPS or Fedex instead.

3- If you're looking at Vistek, call em up and ask for a price match on B&H. On big budget items, you can haggle with Vistek. They still may not be able to match B&H's price with the Canadian dollar being so strong.

Jeff Toogood January 10th, 2005 08:15 PM

Cool, I have noticed that Vistek has the best price on a PD170, so I will give them a call.

Glenn Chan January 11th, 2005 12:23 AM

dvshop.ca has a demo model PD-170 for $3.8kCDN

Jeff Toogood January 11th, 2005 07:44 AM

I saw that as well, again if I buy that I end up with no warranty.

Carlos E. Martinez January 11th, 2005 05:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Toogood : I saw that as well, again if I buy that I end up with no warranty. -->>>

Who says a demo model has no warranty? If the shop is selling it, it should have the same warranty as a brand new one.

But for a bit more money you can go the FX1 way, which will let you do DV or HDV. That demo price is not such a great deal, IMHO.

Carlos

Jeff Toogood January 11th, 2005 06:20 PM

Well I called them and it is out of warranty. Also it is about $1100 cheaper than any other place in Canada.
Canadian prices on stuff like this SUCK.

I am really not interested in the HDV route, I will be doing mainly weddings and need a camera that is really good in low light.

Thanks

Jeff Toogood January 12th, 2005 02:18 PM

Crap, Sony is also offering $300 rebate to US residents only.

MAN, I sure can get the PD170 cheaper in the US right now.