Bought used items from B&H? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old May 19th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Bought used items from B&H?

Just curious if anyone has bought used items from B&H before. This is the first time I have, and I am at least dissapointed in their condition rating system.

I bought a Petrol camera bag. It was rated at 9 (out of 10). When I got it, it was dirty, the velcro that is sewn into the handle is pretty much ripped off on one side and barely hanging on on the other. The rain jacket for the camera that came with it is not in that great condition, and the zippers have definitely seen better days.

This is a 9????

Looks more like an 8 rating to me!

According to them:
9 Shows signs of use, but very clean (My item would not qualify as "very clean"

8+ Shows moderate wear or finish marks

8 Well used - may exhibit "dings" or finish marks (this fits what I got - 2 ratings BELOW what they advertised it as)

Anyone else experienced this kind of discrepancy in that B&H rates their item conditions much higher than they really are even according to their own descriptions of the condition?

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I've only bought one used item from B&H. They said it was pretty beat up and it was.
They also said it would work and it did.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I bought a Leica camera from them used and it was advertised as like new in the box. When it came, it was like new in the box. It was the only piece of equipment I have purchased used from anyone. I bought it to travel with and so I only wanted something that worked but didn't care what it looked like as long as it wasn't full price. I was pleasantly surprised it turned out so well.
I would ask B&H about it if you're unhappy. If you're not happy with your purchase than you should have sent it back immediately. I doubt you would get anything back (money wise) because it was "less than you expected" but you could always get a refund by sending it back to them (presuming you actually read the return policy).

Return / Warranty Policy
All used equipment is guaranteed to work, regardless of its cosmetic condition. Used photo equipment is guaranteed for 90- days from date of purchase and has a 14-day return privilege (less shipping). Used Video/Imaging items come with a 30-day "Parts and Labor" warranty, excluding video heads, and may be returned within 7 days for a full refund (less shipping).

Contact B&H Used Department
By e-mail:
Photo: usedphoto@bhphotovideo.com
Video & digital equipment: usedvideo@bhphotovideo.com

Phone: 800.606.6969 ext. 2700 or 212.444.6615 ext. 2700
Fax: 800.520.5444 or 212.239.7540
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well, I don't know if I want to return it or not. It was still a good deal, but I was definitely dissapointed in the condition that it was in.

I paid $109 for it, and new it is $139. I will probably call them up and ask about it. I haven't tested the rain cover for leaks, but if it has them, then I will definitely return it for a new one and spend the extra $30.

I just got it this week, and in fact, 2 of the 3 items that I ordered have not shown up in the mail yet. 1 item had to be special ordered, and the other item was supposed to ship with this bag, but apparently they had to ship it from a different warehouse and it still has not gotten here.

Alex F
Alex Filacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Major Player

hello alex,

i have bought my xl1-s and a complete studio set up,(even more, can't post $ amounts, since my better half reads here too <G>) from b&h. most of it new, but also used stuff. every single order right on. called and e-mailed with them. they were available, and reliable.
b&h is the only place to buy.

greetings
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #6
New Boot

I bought a used Kata bag from B & H. It was in the condition they claimed, which was like an 8 or 9 on their scale. The price was great.

I also bought a used diopter from Adorama recently. It was at a great price but there was an undisclosed blemish between the lens elements that I couldn't get at easily to clean, so I returned it (I haven't gotten my credit yet but they said it'd be no problem). I was bummed because it was 2/3 the price of its new counterpart (~$300), but it would have worked 2/3 as well so I really can't complain.
Alan Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Major Player

I've bought both new and used from B&H. The last used item I got was an IDX VL-2 Plus Endura battery charger and power supply. Their description was that is was the older VL-2 in like-new condition. IIRC, I paid about $400 instead of the $550 new. It was (is) in every respect like new.
Doug Boze is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors