BH vs. Adorama at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old March 18th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #1
Inner Circle

BH vs. Adorama

I'm looking at this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/644741-USA/Nikon_2185_AF_S_Nikkor_70_200mm_f_2_8G.html
And both BH and Adorama have it for the same prices. Soooooooo, am I supposed to flip a coin? Why have the same price? It reminds me of gas stations.
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Not only is B&H a trusted sponsor here, but they have better feedback at resellerratings. So for me it's no contest.
Old March 19th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #3
Trustee

B&H for me every time, I have a running wish list that never seems to empty
Old March 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #4
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

BH vs. Adorama

Adam & Paul:
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I thought Adorama was a sponsor as well. My question still remains; I've talked to BH sales people before about price 'beating' heck, even by 10 bucks, I always get a flat response.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Adorama does not support DV Info Net. B&H does. That should be enough to sway your decision.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris. I was really just asking a question about how camera stores market. But thanks again. My memory failed me, I thought Adorama was.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #8
Major Player

No big mystery: product makers have a wholesale price and dealers have a markup. Companies of a similar size will likely have the same wholesale cost and need for profit. Best Buy counts on the convenience (and the 'knowledgable' sales staff) to justify the increased markup.

There is something of a disagreement between makers and dealers over the 'lowest advertisable price' which leads to 'add item to cart to see the discount price' thingy.
Old March 20th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Minimum Advertised Price = MAP. This is a different thing from MSRP (manufacturer's suggested retail price). MSRP is the high end of the price range while MAP is the lowest price that a dealer can advertise, per agreement with the vendor or manufacturer. Andy's right, when you see "add item to cart to see price," that is the dealer's way of showing a price lower than MAP without actually breaking that agreement.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10
sponsor: B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Davis View Post
I thought Adorama was a sponsor as well. My question still remains; I've talked to BH sales people before about price 'beating' heck, even by 10 bucks, I always get a flat response.
B&H considers each price match inquiry individually and even has a sales exec dedicated to this task. We say yes as often as possible and regret when we cannot. We consider a variety of issues including our price and theirs, who the other retailer is (and we check ressellerrsatings.com, which you should also), the total out-the-door pice including required but not included accessories, s&h and so on.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Major Player

B&H hands down. their website is better and they seem to carry everything under the sun.
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:57 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B. McGee View Post
B&H hands down. their website is better and they seem to carry everything under the sun.
Plus the B&H superstore on West 34th is one of those places you have to visit at least once in a lifetime :-).

I've been a happy B&H customer for years and years.
Hamish Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #13
New Boot

Been buying from BH Photo for 6 years. Good prices, fast shipping, good with returns/exchanges. Only complaint I have and it's not really legit is that they take too many holidays. Wish us Christians had that many Holidays. ;)
David Adamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Placed another order today at B&H ...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Major Player

B&H is hands down better. I've ordered a few times from Adorama. One time I returned some items. They only counted one item in the box for my return credit. I had to call them numerous times to get credit for some of the other items. Some items I never did get credit for. I probably lost about $100 on the deal. A second time I ordered something from them off of eBay. The item description was wrong. They didn't refund my money after the product was returned until I called them. Will never buy from them again.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors