ZGC rules! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old December 19th, 2001, 04:41 PM   #1
Sponsor: ZGC

OpTex .65x Wide Angle Converter $299

Just out from OpTex: A .65x wide angle converter with a bayonet mount made for the Sony VX2000, PD150 and DSR250. $299. The bayonet mount allows you to place and remove the unit more quickly - no screw threads to wear out from use. Increases coverage by about 35%. Available from ZGC. Say the Watchdog sent you and get a free ZGC t-shirt with purchase of the unit. (Okay, it says Canon DV discreetly on it too, but hey it's clothing, it looks great, it's free and it washes well.)

Cheers,
Barbara Lowry
ZGC, Inc.
www.zgc.com
Watchdog Sponsor
Barbara Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2002, 11:48 AM   #2

OpTex Anamorphic Attachment for XL-1/XL-1S

Now available! The OpTex Anamorphic Attachment for the XL-1 and XL-1S. From ZGC for $865. Details can be found at www.zgc.com. Say the Watchdog sent you and we'll send a free gift with your purchase effective through January 31, 2002.

Happy New Year!
Old January 19th, 2002, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Happy w XL-1s but need quick body exchange- HELP

Chris or anyone,

I received the XL-1s package I bought from ZGC yesterday afternoon as promised . I'm very happy with the camera and all the assessories I bought along with it. The Varizoom Stealth is worth the price. I've spent most of today, Saturday, putting the camera through its paces. Great piece of gear BUT I've discovered a bad pixel (at least that what I'm calling it - it's a white dot left of center screen.) It's not too obvious when looking through the EVF but it's quite obvious on a CRT monitor.

Here's my question - I've left very little margin for error in all my planning and I can hardly afford to be without the camera. I have a lighting and screen test on Tuesday (actors and lighting director involved and the client needs to see the results ASAP - like Wednesday.) What's the best way to go, or at least, what can I expect. Should I expect ZGC to send me a replacement body and I'll send this one back? Or do I need to deal with Canon? The camera is yet to be registered and even a five day turn around is too long. (They are also out of mailing boxes by the way.)

ZGC has been a great dealer to do busines with and I have my fingers crossed Christine will agree to mail me a replacement body. I've already sent her an email message to this effect.

The XL-1s is a big improvement, at least operationally, over the XL-1. I've found the menus and controls much easier to deal with. I've yet to run picture tests with it. That's part of what I have scheduled for Tuesday.

Thank you for any advise you might have.
Old January 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Ozzie, I think your best bet is to call ZGC first thing Monday morning. They can probably overnight a replacement body to you. It's too bad you received on Saturday, because if this was a business day you could call 'em up. As it is, Monday morning is the earliest you'll be able to make contact. If you explain your situation to Christine (or the owners, Les Zellan and his wife, Barb Lowry), they should be able to accomodate an expedited replacement. Tell 'em I said I knew they'll take care of ya. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2002, 08:05 PM   #5
Major Player

Chris,

Thank you for the advice. I'll be calling them first thing Monday AM (is Monday a holiday?? MLK?) and you can be sure your ears will be ringing.

I actually received the camera Friday afternoon but didn't notice the bad pixel until today. I taped a few minutes worth of material as soon as I unpacked it. Played it back today to assure myself the pixel was bad from the start and sure enough - there it was.

The only assessory I'm not too crazy about is the CH-910 dual battery charger/holder. Although it functions fine it's construction and design seem a little flimsy. I have it mounted with the belt clip it comes with on to the M-100 plate. I haven't found a way to make it fit solidly. Maybe someone here has some suggestion on a better way to mount it? The only way to hook the CH-910 to the M-100 plate is via the belt clip since that's then only part that has mounting holes to fit the plates.

A while back I was asking if anyone had a better way to power the XL-1 but I got few or no answers.
Old January 19th, 2002, 08:12 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Ozzie,

MLK Day is a banker's holiday and a state or federal employee's holiday. I've never known it to be a business holiday. They should be there first thing in the morning.

I wish I had known or noticed that you were ordering the CH-910; I would have tried to talk you out of it. A couple of high-capacity BP-945 batteries would have been better use of the money.

The best power option I've seen for the XL1 is an Anton Bauer Gold battery adapter... by far the best, but also expensive. You get what you pay for.

Old January 19th, 2002, 10:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Well, NOW you tell me. I had looked at the Bauer unit but couldn't find anyone who had used them and who could give me some first hand comments. I believe there was an article in Watchdog a while back that talked about a hefty battery for the XL-1 but I couldn't locate it. I think it also talked about a better DC power supply for the XL. That's something else I could use since much of the shooting will be indoors with two XLs running. The AC adapter that Canon supplies are not up to par in any way. Any ideas?

Not a big loss. I also bought 4 CP-945 batteries. At least the 910 allows me to charge two batteries. The bad thing is that it doesn't do them in tandem. First it recharges one and then the other. On second thought, it was a waste. About all it does it makes the client think I'm using a bigger camera. ;-)

In case you're wondering why I didn't buy Lenmar - just ask Christine. I don't think they carry them and she gently and politely steered me toward Canon. Hey, they are good folks and I wasn't about to haggle over batteries. She was baffled why I was buying 4. It's because I trust the batteries more than the flimsy AC adapter.

By the way the Fire Wire control of an external machine is a great addition. I can make a backup as I go. I guess that's also how you're backing up to hard drive?
Old January 21st, 2002, 08:05 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Ozzie, Monday has now come and gone. What happened with your camera?

Old January 21st, 2002, 08:56 PM   #9
Major Player

Chris,

Drove out to ZGC - an easy 40 minute drive from home - met Christine. I handed her the defective body and she handed me a new one. No questions asked. No hassles. I asked to try out the new body and she supplied me with a EVF. It went so smoothly there's little to report. I think I might have run into Les Zellan and Barb Lowry. It's a small place and there were only three people there that I could see. A small but smooth operation. Maybe these are the best.

I must say I'm very happy with ZGC and hope to keep doing business with them. Their prices are not the lowest, at least not in NYC, but the personal attention is well worth it.

BTW - the new body is working perfectly. I might have more to say after I run some tests tomorrow.
Old March 23rd, 2002, 03:41 PM   #10

Canon XL1 PAL Version ZGC SPECIALS

ZGC SPECIALS

Canon XL1 PAL version camera body kits (no lens), prepackaged by Canon:

with Color Viewfinder, NOW $2,400

with Black/White Viewfinder, NOW $3,200

Free with each camera purchase, your choice of either:
A heather grey cotton ZGC/Canon DV t-shirt or
ZGC/Canon DV cotton khaki bucket hat

Questions? Contact
Christine at chris @zgc.com, or
Mizell at mizell@zgc.com.
Old April 4th, 2002, 12:59 PM   #11

P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter at NAB

ZGC's Christine Brnic, Mizell Wilson, Patty Schnabel and Les Zellan will be at NAB, Las Vegas Convention Center, April 8 through 11 in the Canon Booth #L10600 and the OpTex section of the Tiffen Booth #L9557 demonstrating the P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter.

Test footage showing the effects of the Mini 35 will be shown from a DVD on a large monitor in the Canon booth.

High quality (would we have it any other way?) ZGC/Canon DV baseball caps, bucket hats and t-shirts will be on sale for a nominal price.

Yours truly will be back at home base helping to hold down the fort.
Old April 4th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #12

P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter for PD150

The brand new P+S Technik Mini 35 Digital Adapter for the Sony PD150 will be shown for the first time at NAB in Las Vegas, April 8 through 11, Booth #L9557 (OpTex section of the Tiffen booth).

Come and see the demonstration.
Old July 18th, 2002, 12:56 PM   #13
Major Player

ZGC Delivers!

Well I must admit that I was a bit apprehensive when I was placing my order with ZGC. With the company being back east, there was no telling what kind of service I would get. My first thought was of the thieving slugs who sell photo equipment (you see thier sleazy ads in magazines).

So based on the fact that they were a forum sponsor, I took the chance and ordered my XL1s. Of course with Chris Hurd being a Texas dude that helped (just kidding all you "non-Texans") my level of comfort. I ordered the following from them:

- XL1s Body Kit
- 16x Manual Servo Lens
- FU-500 Color Viewfinder (should have gone with the B/W model)
- Kata CCC-10 Case
- Canon BP-945 battery

Was very happy with the price, as I felt it was a fair deal. Mizell threw in a sweet looking ski jacket and baseball cap. All that just for placing the order. If I recall Mizell actually drove my order to the airport so that it would ship same day. Now that is service!

Everything came as promised and I could not be happier. Give these guys a strong look when making your next Canon purchase.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 08:11 PM   #14
Major Player

Mizell is one hell of a hard working dude.
Justin Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 08:23 PM   #15
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Justin Chin : Mizell is one hell of a hard working dude. -->>>

I could not agree more. He was very polite, friendly, and took care of business. What more could you ask for from a mail order vendor. I am looking forward to doing business with him in the future.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors