Sponsors - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors

Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors
Your direct line to authorized DVi software and equipment vendors.

Old May 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Jerry it's not a blog, it's a message board.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Mohn
Quote from Mr. Hurd's reply "At the same time running a site like this is not cheap. If I were a philathropist, if I were independently wealthy, then I'd just pay out of pocket to do this thing. But I can't afford that. So I have to rely on the generous support that I get from a handful of dealers and manufacturers who pony up the money to keep this thing afloat, making it free for everyone to use without having to resort to a subscription model and without saturating it with banner ads."

Chris is DVINFO.net profitable? Are you running a non-profit? One would assume you are barely getting by. I love the "keep this thing afloat" part, adds drama.

Mega snip.

Location undisclosed
equipment private
Quote "Don't tell me too much about yourself, I don't want to know."
Jerry: You simply have missed the point of this community and the high level of operation that sets it apart from the usual scurge found online. Best of luck as you navigate your way through the messy abyss of the internet that is so intrenched with meaningless websites.

Am I flag-waving on Chris' behalf? No. Do I know Chris personally? No. Have I gleaned any personal monetary benefit over the years from my association here? None. Do I know of any other single source that is so completely and transparantly dedicated to my craft? Nope and no. That is why this area is so profoundly different from all others. This is what the net should be.

I met the operator of this site only once for about 4 minutes at a NY trade show and I am sure he had no idea who I was. But there was genuine respect for me taking the time to indicate the above.

Your cynical views, meritless arguments and scathing accusations of a man who has shown himself to be beyond reproach are revolting. Good luck in the abyss that awaits at the alternatives.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:23 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Stephen McDonald
To say that anyone disagreeing about the policies of its owner/operator can go elsewhere, fails to acknowledge its position at the top of its genre.
It's important to understand that I have no goal and no desire for this thing to be at the top of its genre. It's almost too big as it is. There's only one single reason why this site has grown the way it has, and that's due to the caliber of people it attracts. DV Info Net is *not* meant for everybody, and it sure isn't intended to be all things to all people. The original goal has always been to provide a different kind of internet experience, in which an online community knows each other by their real names, is free from profanity, vulgarity, and flaming, and where the discussions are useful enough that you can take the information that's gleaned here and apply it real life. My own expectation was that this would be a relatively small community. No one is more surprised over its growth than I have been. There are times when I wish it were still as small as it was in 2002 and 2003.

That's why I felt a huge relief when DVX User sailed on past us in post count and popularity (now that is a site which really is at the top of its genre). Jarred Land has built DVX User up to what it is in less than half the time it's taken me with this one. It's a good reminder that even though DV Info seems to be growing fast, it's still a fairly cautious and relatively slow growth in comparison, and I would prefer to have quality over quantity any day. If somebody says to me, "your site is huge," I can point to DVX User and say "but that one is even bigger" which helps me to justify my claim that DV Info is more about quality than quantity. (That's no dig at DVX User, plenty of quality there too.) On a regular basis I'll dump inactive user accounts so as not to give any false impressions about the membership count.

DV Info Net is *not* at the top of its genre. It's just unique and particularly unlike any other message board in this industry. That part was done on purpose. Its popularity and appeal is simply a refection of the caliber of people who are using it.

Old May 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy McKenzie
I met the operator of this site only once for about 4 minutes at a NY trade show and I am sure he had no idea who I was.
Jimmy, don't you dare to ever let that happen again. The only reason I go to those trade shows is to meet people face to face, and match a name to a person. The real-life acquaintances are without a doubt the best part of online networking. Hopefully we'll get another shot at that sometime soon.

Old May 18th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #20
Wrangler

An Internet celebrity? *gasp* Why didn't someone tell me??? I'm always the last to know...

Here I've been treating Chris like he's just a generous, friendly, and cool guy who also happens to wear a white hat.

***"CRAP" FROM CRONY WARNING***

All anyone has to do is read his posts and articles and/or meet Chris and they know the truth of the matter. He's a rare breed, but he's for real. :)

p.s. to Jimmy: Rah rah rah!!! :)
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Ok. I hereby retract every kind word I've said about Chris and this site. The bribe check that Chris sent me in exchange for my positive commentary was returned for 'insufficient funds.' Chris is a DEADBEAT! And here I thought I'd made it into the "Sycophant" member category ahead of everyone else on the list...

***KIDDING*** (obviously, I hope!)

I don't know Chris personally either. I know next to nothing about him except that he resides in the great Republic of Texas. I've never met him, but Chris, if you're ever in Honolulu, I'll buy you the beverage of your choice at one of our many fine watering holes. The only benefit I gain from this site is access to the knowledge and experience of its many contributors. That, my friends, is priceless!

Aloha,

Larry
Larry Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #22
Major Player

Facinating discussion. Fact is I'm very happy with this site, net, community, forum, etc. in the form that it exists right now. Chris has done a good job. The sponsors are among the best in the business. The vast,vast majority of the people on this forum are great, knowledgible and generous with thier experience and we all benefit. I have cultivated friendships through this forum, some electronic, some "let's have a beer after the shoot". I have also found folks to hire for remote shoots I couldn't afford to travel to. In otherwords, the information is good, the people make the forum.

If I didn't feel this way, I would do as Chris suggests and vote with my fingers. There are tons of video related sites/forums on the web. Some are very narrow and specific, some are way over my head, some are broad and general and cater to the "LOL and RU4 vids, dude?" crowd. This forum is the right fit for me and I appreciate the work that goes into it. If Chris wants to carefully cultivate our sponsors - that is his choice.

Thanks to Chris and the others who keep this site useful, informative and very much a community.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #23
Trustee

While I don't consider myself a CH cheerleader or a DVi Kool-Aid taste-tester in any way, I recognize this board for what it is and what it does, for myself and others, and make assumptions about the quality and integrity of the person behind it because of his dedication to the quality of the site, his helpful and informative posts, and the glowing remarks shared by those who know him. Kudos to Chris for developing a foundation for this community. (This is not a cheer, just a very warm and genuine 'thank you')

It is fair to say that I probably spend significantly more time on this site than any other place on the net...by far....but it has been to great purpose. What I have gained from this sight has helped me in my business ventures immeasurably, and has helped to sharpen my skills by leaps and bounds. I have learned from many other DVi members, have shopped with confidence for equipment that precisely fits my needs, from vendors that are capable and trust-worthy. I have had many many queries answered in detail (and quickly) and in return, I have attempted to offer my own insight whenever I can be of help. And through it all, I have traded posts with a number of folks that I hope to meet some day when I am able to attend a convention or trade-show.

That, to me, is what this site is all about, and does very well.

It is not a place for personal attack, and tearing others down. There are too many other sites on the net that routinely lower themselves to such lowly purpose.

To be fair to JM, it would appear that some of his perspective may stem from unresolved issues regarding inferior purchases from one of the trusted vendors...and I myself have once found a defective light bulb in one of my many orders from that vendor. Given the fragile nature of that item, I suspect sometimes that happens and it can be frustrating. I believe Chris's response to the issue was prompt and appropriate, but was apparently not the hand-holding that was sought in defending against a defective product. But I think most of us are aware that hand-holding is not what this site is designed for - and does not have the resources for.

These forums are full of folks who will gladly show you the road, and helpfully point out most of the bumps and curves....but friend, you gotta drive it yourself. Although a few people will see this as betrayal, most of us would probably see it as 'empowerment'.

I have been empowered to be confident in the purchases I make and in using the equipment I buy. It is true that I don't always buy from these same vendors (in some cases I get an item or two from local 'big-boxes' because I need to examine, hold, and test the item first) but local choices suck for me, so such instances are rare.....more and more of my purchases are done online and over distance, and when lots of money is involved, knowing that I am not getting shafted by shady outfits is especially rewarding, and I have this site to thank for continually steering me in the right direction.

Thank you, Chris.

-Jon

...and FWIW, thanks also to Boyd for being one of the many people who answer questions for others when you know the answers. I, for one, am among the many folks here who truly appreciate it.
-J.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Great Deals from DV Info Net Sponsors