ULTRA TV display at NAB - Ultra Hi Def downrezzed to 4K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old April 20th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Wrangler

ULTRA TV display at NAB - Ultra Hi Def downrezzed to 4K

I'm uploading a short video clip of the Ultra TV booth at NAB, where they were showcasing a four 8M-pixel CMOS recorder. Chris will have to link the video to this thread, once it uploads, but meanwhile here is a JPG of the camera. They were showing the live footage on a 4K monitor that had a little sign on it: "Downrezzed to 4K" - everyone who walked by the booth had a chuckle at that sign.

Maybe someone with more knowledge of this project can shed some light on the details and possible applications. I heard a lot of folks chattering about this display, but it was mostly along the lines of, "Did you see that Japanese camera? That was cool/amazing/sick...."
Attached Thumbnails
ULTRA TV display at NAB - Ultra Hi Def downrezzed to 4K-ultrahidef.jpg  
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Wrangler

video is now available here:

www.dvinfo.net/media/uhd/UltraHiDef.mov
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I remember reading about this, would have been good to display the 4k down res PLUS another screen on the other side that was a crop of the 8mp output so you could see both.
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

i thought about it, but did not really have much faith in my HV20 to do justice to it...especially when compressing the images even further for a web video...
Old April 21st, 2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Trustee

I saw this monster camera up close last year, and at that time the applications were with medical, as well as ultra high displays in museums. High definition in homes is very common in Japan, and now they're trying to figure out a way to compress an ultra high def signal into a manageable one for home use.

What intrigued me more was the 22.1 channel surround sound system they had this year by Bose. Does anyone know what that system was? It looked like a souped up L1 towers, but it wasn't an L1. I believe the bass modules were B4s?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I wasn't really that impressed by it.

The bezel between the 4 monitors was highly distracting and you really can't suspend your disbelief with it. To me, the bezel meant that I just couldn't get into it.
Perhaps in the future there will be good ultra HD displays, but right now we barely have good 4k displays and projectors.

The viewing angle on their LCDs and their raised black level were also un-immersive. IMO I think we are best off going with HD displays with real blacks first (especially 1920x1080 progressive HD). It doesn't involve changing our infrastructure much, it's viable to produce, and real blacks makes pictures look a lot sharper than higher resolution does. At very high viewing angles (e.g. if you're sitting really close, or if the display is really large) it's probably better to have higher resolution... but most people do not have that in their home.

Right now, I'm most impressed by the eCinema DPX (best blacks I've ever seen), the FED prototypes, ad realD 3D (haven't seen the other 3D systems).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema