Which companies are the major "players" for making Digital Cinema servers/players? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old September 24th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Which companies are the major "players" for making Digital Cinema servers/players?

So far I'm aware of two:

QuVIS ( QUVIS.COM - QUALITY VISUAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS ), who make a cinema player (to DCI specifications) and have just released a plug-in called Wraptor for Apple's Compressor which will take an indie's completed movie and encode it to the full DCI spec including security encryption (at least that's my current understanding of it).

Dolby ( Dolby - Dolby Digital Cinema ? Dolby Show Player & Dolby Show Store ) who seem to be making a 3-D cinema player and projection system (although I found some of their website details to be a little ambiguous, so I'm still clarifying).

This week there was an announcement that two of the Dolby 3-D systems have just been installed at two cinemas in Melbourne (Palace Cinemas chain). Yay! And, per my calculations, that now makes it six cinemas Australia-wide that have now installed Dolby 3-D systems. As far as I know, QuVIS don't seem to have any systems installed in Australia, at this point.

Does anyone know of any other companies (anywhere in the world) that are making/providing DCI-compliant cinema players/servers, besides the two I just mentioned?

Thanks.
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Major Player

I just found an excellent summary (and it's probably answered my original question) on this link:

Digital Cinema Buyers Guide: Digital Cinema Feature Servers
David Knaggs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema