New camera prospects, someone talk some sense to me. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Closed Thread

Old November 17th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
Inner Circle

New camera prospects, someone talk some sense to me.

So I've been looking at a RED ONE. But then I heard about this new camera that's shipping now and only costs about $3,000. It's really cool, aside from the low cost, it shoots in 2k with 13+ stops of latitude and 4:4:4 color. And supposedly it yields a image more beautiful and filmlike than Genesis, Red One, Epic, any of them. Multiple frame rates? You betcha. You have to record audio on a separate device, but we've got a great digital audio recorder. Normally you get your files into the timeline at 4:2:2 DVCPRO HD at 1080p. There is no waiting list for this unit, maybe you've heard about it already, it's called a 16mm film camera.

Okay, the film stock, achilles heel right? Maybe not, 12 minutes of Vision II is $80. 15 minutes of footage telecined to DVCPROHD is $180. So your lab fees, cleaning fees, shipping, you're looking at a relatively low investment compared to RED provided it's short form production, like TV spots.

Now can someone talk me down from this? I'm not planning on making a feature, just high end broadcast, everything in short form. Doesn't this represent a far lower investment and better image than RED ONE? The only drawback I see is a 7 day lag in your workflow while your footage is telecined to hard drive.
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #2
Wrangler

I know a few guys who still shoot 16mm...they make beautiful stuff. You should go for it. Shoot what makes you feel good.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Wrangler

Why would we talk you out of it? Film is beautiful! If you can afford it, go for it!
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Inner Circle

The point I'm trying to make is that film, at least for short form projects, is cheaper than RED ONE. I'm trying to say that 16mm cameras are cheaper, simpler, and better. But I must be overlooking something.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Brian, it certainly sounds like you had your mind made up before posting this thread -- nothing wrong with that, but your "question" isn't really a question at all. Plus, as you've seen by the replies you've received, nobody here is going to talk you out of film. I'll be the third person in a row to tell you to go for it -- and with that said, there's really nothing more to discuss here. Thanks all,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema