Larry Thorpe presented on UHD & 3D tonight at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Larry Thorpe presented on UHD & 3D tonight

I was invited by a friend with Canon USA to hear Larry Thorpe discuss Canon's new ultra high level HD lens and discuss the demands of UHD and 3D on optical systems. As many of you know, Mr. Thorpe is the inventor of the CCD, starting his career with the BBC, then RCA in the 60's, developing the first electronic broadcast camera, working with Sony for 20 years, and spearheading development of HDTV before signing up in his current role as an exec with Canon. He went into the fundamentals and trade offs of lens design and the extreme demands of trying to accommodate 4K and 8K optics. It was a fascinating presentation by an extremely bright man that could keep highly technical content interesting. My son who graduates from film school in March was able to attend and mix with Mr. Thorpe and a small audience of 30 or so film and broadcast professionals.

I'll try to resist complaining about the cost of a good lens from this point forward. It was very interesting to be in an audience where $10,000 lenses were considered the extreme low end and $200,000+ the high end! And I thought L-Glass was expensive!!
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Willard S. Boyle and George E. Smith are being awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for 2009 for co-inventing the CCD. I think the Nobel committee would be very surprised to hear that Larry Thorpe invented the CCD.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Major Player

David, guess I screwed that up. Evidently he played a huge role applying the CCD technology into a viable camera and promoting digital and ultimately HD into what we enjoy today.

Last edited by Roger Shealy; November 18th, 2009 at 07:01 AM.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I figured that he probably played a role in implementing CCD's in video cameras, and that was what was being referenced.

By the way, I've been following your Canon 7D thread on the Bogen monopod. I'm leaning toward obtaining a 7D as it would be perfect for some things that I need to do.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #5
Major Player

David,

It's a good camera. I'm starting to understand the pro's and con's versus a traditional camera, but for me, its a good trade off. I've been purchasing several SMC Takumar manual lenses and am finding them very good for the work I do for a reasonable price.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema