what would i need to edit 4k footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Major Player

what would i need to edit 4k footage?

Hi, I have a new PC Dell xps9000 with Premiere Pro cs4, My system specs are a Intel Core i7 920 with 8 gigs of ram 650GB main drive - 1.5TB hard drive. and a Nvidia Geforce GTS240 the link for that is below

what would i need to edit Red, or other 4k footage? could my current specs handle this? If not what would I need?

also if anyone has any 4k footage shot on red, like a 30 second clip i could just mess with that would rock

GeForce GTS 240 (OEM Product)

Thanks!
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Sorry, I'm not great with Specs, so I can't tell you what you'd need....

But I believe you can download some Red One footage here : Red One Digital Cinema Camera test footage
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Major Player

You will need a big, fast drive array. CalDigit, Dulce, GTech and others make excellent 8 drive arrays at pretty reasonable prices.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
Hi, I have a new PC Dell xps9000 with Premiere Pro cs4, My system specs are a Intel Core i7 920 with 8 gigs of ram 650GB main drive - 1.5TB hard drive. and a Nvidia Geforce GTS240 the link for that is below

what would i need to edit Red, or other 4k footage? could my current specs handle this? If not what would I need?

also if anyone has any 4k footage shot on red, like a 30 second clip i could just mess with that would rock

GeForce GTS 240 (OEM Product)

Thanks!
Feel free to go to our website to get some 4k files to play around with. Try it out and see how your system does with it.
Good Luck,
Corey
CLAi - RED San Francisco
www.video-production-san-francisco.com
Corey Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #5
Trustee

basically you'd need to convert RED files into proxy files (something that is automatically done for FCP users). It's much easier to edit these and then replace them for final render.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema