DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/)
-   -   Suggest A Cinema Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/hd-uhd-2k-digital-cinema/484273-suggest-cinema-camera.html)

Haitham Lawati September 4th, 2010 07:40 AM

Suggest A Cinema Camera

Which cameras can deliver this stunnig quality and breathe-taking scenes at affordable prices as seen in the following link:
YouTube - Porsche 918 Spyder Concept Promotional Video

Wacharapong Chiowanich September 4th, 2010 09:08 AM

Hard to say for sure as the video posted only plays at 480p maximum resolution and if 480p is all you need the Canon 5D Mk2 with appropriate lenses and mounting apparatuses will do. If you need to have it look that good at 1080p I guess you would need at least the Red One plus all the required accessories, which I can hardly say "affordable". The Red One system nevertheless seems to be the cheapest to yield that kind of look, the high frame rate capability (to get a smooth slow motion effect), and the tonality that comes very close to film. Some other digital systems shoot even better looking footage but every one of them costs much, much more.

Arnie Schlissel September 4th, 2010 09:18 AM

The Arri Alexa will give you the best bang for the buck. Great quality, very usable, simple post workflow. Pricing is around $50k or $60k, plus lenses.

Perrone Ford September 4th, 2010 11:01 AM

That was shot on a Canon 7D. Cost: US$1500

Haitham Lawati September 4th, 2010 01:17 PM

If I use Canon 5D Mark II with EOS 24-105mm f/4 lens and set it at Full HD, is it possible to attain this quality with this cinematic look?

Perrone Ford September 4th, 2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati (Post 1566084)
If I use Canon 5D Mark II with EOS 24-105mm f/4 lens and set it at Full HD, is it possible to attain this quality with this cinematic look?

With a few years of practice.. sure. That "cinematic look" is the combination of gear and skills. There's no "easy" button to get you there.

Brian Drysdale September 5th, 2010 04:43 AM

As mentioned, the camera is just the tool, you have to learn how to use it and then apply the imagination and creative energy.

Sareesh Sudhakaran September 5th, 2010 10:22 PM

SI2K rig with the bells and whistles might be cheaper than a RED or Alexa. Most professionals don't accept H.264 as a professional medium of source, so I would rule out 7D/5D unless budget is a huge issue.

Brian Drysdale September 6th, 2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati (Post 1566084)

Usually these cameras are used for a shallow DOF,( which also helps reduce the moire patterning artefacts when shooting video), so prime or fixed focal length lenses are normally used rather than a relatively slow (f stop wise) zooms intended for stills.

Perrone Ford September 6th, 2010 12:31 PM

F4 on a 5D is going to be very much like F1.8 on a 7D. It's pretty darn shallow.

Brian Drysdale September 6th, 2010 01:47 PM

Pretty much in a ball park of each other, perhaps a bit more on the 5D at f4. But are people using the 5D shooting at f4 or are they tending to use wider apertures when shooting for commercials?

Certainly pulling focus would keep you busy..

Charles Papert September 6th, 2010 03:59 PM

Overall, the folks using these cameras in the industry are shooting at higher stops (i.e. more closed down) than folks in the indie world. I myself rarely go below a 2.8 and usually deeper, especially with the 5D. I'm always fascinated when I read about people raving about their f1.4 lenses. No clue how you guys are achieving critical focus, we have a hard enough time with it at a 4.

"Most professionals don't accept H.264 as a professional medium of source"

These cameras are in use on many high-end commercials, music videos etc. and make plenty of appearances on TV shows these days. No-one loves the codec or the other issues with the cameras, but it's the flavor of the month and they are being used for many surprisingly high-end jobs (like this Porsche one) where the budget could obviously manage a more "appropriate" camera. What we see more often than not is a camera package owned by a director or producer being brought to these jobs; they get the rental and that's that.

Brian Drysdale September 6th, 2010 04:40 PM

Somehow I'm not too surprised about the ownership of the camera package.

Dylan Couper September 7th, 2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1566599)
Overall, the folks using these cameras in the industry are shooting at higher stops (i.e. more closed down) than folks in the indie world. I myself rarely go below a 2.8 and usually deeper, especially with the 5D. I'm always fascinated when I read about people raving about their f1.4 lenses. No clue how you guys are achieving critical focus, we have a hard enough time with it at a 4.

Charles...
It's called FocusLite(tm).
It's new.
It's like critical focus, only not.
Since indie folks rarely rent HD monitors to check focus, and most indie DPs don't know the numbers on the lens mean something, no one ever notices 'till post, and at that point the editor (usually the director) is too scared to say anything.
So when someone asks "you sure that shot is in focus?" You can answer, "Yeah, it's FocusLite."

I should make a rail mount FocusLite device...

Perrone Ford September 7th, 2010 10:48 AM

EPIC!!!!

FocusLite(tm),

I'll take one for each lens please!