Chromakey by Cinema Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old December 8th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Chromakey by Cinema Camera

Which cinema cameras are suggested to be the best for chroma key purposes?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Any Reply?
Old December 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Anything that shoots RAW or 4:4:4.

My top choices would be:

1. Phantom 65
2. RED Epic
3. RED One
4. Dalsa Origin (no longer available)
5. Sony F35 / F23
6. Arri Alexa / D21
7. Silicon Imaging SI2K
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What about the cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 ?
Do you think that they can provide outstanding results and fair enough quality?
Old December 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati View Post
What about the cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 ?
Do you think that they can provide outstanding results and fair enough quality?
Your post said "best", and it also said cinema camera. Nearly every cinema camera I am aware of shoots 4:4:4 or RAW or both.

Compromises beyond that are up to you for testing. What cinema camera are you speaking about that only shoots 4:2:2?
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No I am asking about ordinary cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 such as Canon XF300, Sony XDCAM, etc. which are used for general purposes. How do evaluate their capability of achieving Chroma? Do they provide high enough quality?
Old December 17th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
No I am asking about ordinary cameras that shoot on 4:2:2 such as Canon XF300, Sony XDCAM, etc. which are used for general purposes. How do evaluate their capability of achieving Chroma? Do they provide high enough quality?
They are good enough for *MY* purposes, but people who do VFX would probably consider it garbage. There are a many levels of "high enough quality". Are you talking about feature films, something to put on Youtube? What?

You started the thread asking a very different question than what you're asking about now, so I am confused somewhat.
Old December 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
I've been doing a ton of greenscreen work with the XF300 and it's been outstanding. I am actually able to retain detail in hair like flyaway and spikey hair which is amazing. (maybe I'm just getting better at lighting!) No really for web and broadcast commercial work the XF is awesome. I've cut a lot of footage from various EX1/1r/EX3 and that's worked really well too. I do prefer the Canon though ;)
Old July 4th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Re: Chromakey by Cinema Camera

You can get a very clean key from 4:2:0 if you light correctly, so if all you can afford is 4:2:2, you will be very happy with the result. I assume that if you were currently shooting for Ridley Scott you wouldn't be asking this question here, so 4:2:2 is plenty. If your 4:2:2 work gets his attention, he will set you up with something more expensive. You probably don't need to own it yourself.
Finn Yarbrough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema