The Future is coming... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema

HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema
Various topics: HD, UHD (2K / 4K) Digital Cinema acquisition to distribution.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Trustee

The Future is coming...

I'll state up front that this has nothing to do with Vegas at all, but it does have to do with film making and the future of it. As the host says,
"This is coming, you just have to work out how long it is before you have to deal with it".
Its a great watch. It is Michael Cioni speaking about Filming, editing, file management etc while making the feature film "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".
Michael Cioni prepping for a 4 K World - YouTube!
Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: The Future is coming...

That was great! Thanks for the link. Terrific!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #3

HD wasn't around long then.....
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #4
Inner Circle

HD will be around for many years. 4K has its main advantage in theatrical release or perhaps home cinema, rather than other means of distribution like broadcast TV, which have large infrastructures and capital investments. Unless 4k can increase sales of TV advertising there will be no incentive for the companies to make the investment.

There's also 3D, and I suspect the current state of the world economy doesn't allow for both in the broadcast world.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Trustee

I found the workflows most interesting, and the volume of drive space is frightening.
But the one thing I'm very excited about is the first reasonably priced 4k camcorder that comes out- I can imagine doing a live event with your 4k cam as the long shot.
Being able to zoom in in post, then follow the singer, dancer etc around the stage with the pan crop tool, and still be at 1080p, 720p, even DVD size ( if we still deliver to DVD by then) at full res, while zoomed in will just be amazing.
One cam for long shot and close ups, Ha.
Attached Thumbnails
The Future is coming...-1.4k.jpg   The Future is coming...-2.1080.jpg  

The Future is coming...-3.720.jpg   The Future is coming...-4.dvd.jpg  

Old March 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Trustee

Wonderful! We won't have to pay over the odds for skilled cameramen who can compose shots any more - just shoot wide and crop in post. (I suppose it's what stills photographers have been doing for years...)
Old March 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to UHD from Vegas. Thanks for posting this, but please use the *entire* site and post to the appropriate forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Trustee

Sorry Chris, Noted for the future.
cheers
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Although in theory this the cropping idea sounds great, its going to end up at the point where your spending time trying to fake a camera pan. I've done something similar before and it didn't look very good.
Chris Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #10
Major Player

hmm...
not just simply applying keframes to pan/crop? (thinking Vegas)
even without motion panning, I've seen successful cropping like this in cut shots. It looked like the guy had a 3 camera set up. It was pretty awesome!
Sam Houchins II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Space Hipster

I guess we can consider the JVC HMQ10 the first reasonably priced 4K camera. $5,000 for 4K sounds reasonable to me. I want the camera - but I'm not sure why! I have no need for 4K - yet.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Houchins II View Post
hmm...
not just simply applying keframes to pan/crop? (thinking Vegas)
even without motion panning, I've seen successful cropping like this in cut shots. It looked like the guy had a 3 camera set up. It was pretty awesome!
Unfortunately, the perspective doesn't change, so it's not really the most dynamic film making.
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Unfortunately, the perspective doesn't change, so it's not really the most dynamic film making.
I expect cropping is much more useful when covering an event where the motion is unpredictable than film making.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Perhaps as a rescue, the best coverage at an event will probably continue be done with a zoom lens. You'd need a lot of pixels to allow you to enlarge 10 or more times. The zoom is also quicker if you've got a tight schedule, when you don't want to spend time in post re-framing all your shots.

Cropping is probably better for the refining the last little nuance out of the framing. Although, with good camera operator who's in the zone, you mightn't always have that much excess to work with. Perhaps it's more for advertisements than event coverage, where sharp camera operating always makes the difference when taking you into the moment and so producing better quality work.

For getting all your coverage from fixed camera positions, using one focal length and then cropping it sounds more like one big compromise, unless it's part of portraying how the subjects are entrapped.

Still photographs are different, they're stand alone images that exist mostly on their own, moving images have a developed a different grammar over the last 100 plus years. They take references and influences from stills photography, painting, the novel, but they've also created their own language.
Old March 25th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Why should the perspective change? It doesn't change when you pan, or tilt, or even if you zoom -- perspective only changes if you pedestal, or dolly, or truck ...

I've been using a modest reframing zoom in post for some time now to add emphasis on interviews, or to give me a cut-point -- to achieve that without losing resolution would be great!

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > High Definition Video Acquisition > HD and UHD ( 2K+ ) Digital Cinema